Google Nexus Tablet Won't Have Tegra 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Jelly Bean coming soon? And there's still less than 2% of the Android devices out there running ICS. Lame.

The only thing a super-cheap Google tablet is going to do is remind people why they should have spent the extra money and purchased a "real" tablet in the first place.

And why use the Nexus name? Isn't that reserved for a top-of-the-line device?

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I was going to grab a Kindle Fire or a Barnes and Noble Tablet (16GB), but now I think I'm going to wait to see how this tablet turns out.

Although for the "highest quality" at that price range I expect nothing less than rootability out of the box (like the Googles Flagship phones, a.k.a, Galaxy Nexus), WiFi, Bluetooth, at least 1024x768 res, SD Card Slot, 4GB internal memory, 1GB RAM, Dual or Quad-core chipset with decent GPU (Such as PowerVR SGX540/543 or equivalent Areno) and a USB port.

hiruu

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Really...wow...the losses on these devices will be staggering! By the holiday season they will be totally obsolete.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
It's a good price. I hope Asus produces a tablet with higher quality than it's pixel-defect infested Transformer Prime. ...but since Google is shooting for a tablet "...with the highest possible quality" perhaps the displays won't have the issues a lot of the Transformer Primes have.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]surda[/nom]for $149 thats a great deal.[/citation]
Not if its a cut-rate tablet with too little power. Selling such a device that is heavily customized to do a few things really well (the kindle fire) is good, but selling it as an alternative to an asus transformer or other mainstream tablets is going to leave a LOT of people with a bad taste in their mouths and ultimately hurt the android brand even more than its fragmentation and stability issues already do.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]but selling it as an alternative to an asus transformer or other mainstream tablets is going to leave a LOT of people with a bad taste in their mouths and ultimately hurt the android brand even more than its fragmentation and stability issues already do.[/citation]

I think Google will do fine, the Google branded devices tend to be the best out there at the time of release which is like once a year I think for phones? Anyway a tablet made by them shouldn't be any different.

If they keep in line with the quality of their devices so far (Google-branded devices such as the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, Nexus one etc..) I think they will do fine.

But in all honesty, $150 might be a hard price to get to unless they plan on Play Store purchases to break even with devices sold at a loss.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I think Google will do fine, the Google branded devices tend to be the best out there at the time of release which is like once a year I think for phones? Anyway a tablet made by them shouldn't be any different.If they keep in line with the quality of their devices so far (Google-branded devices such as the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, Nexus one etc..) [/citation]

I don't know about you but I was quite disappointed with the build materials of the Galaxy Nexus since Motorola and Apple seemed to pretty much eliminate cheap looking/feeling plastics from their top-end phones, I was at a loss for why Samsung/Google is still using the lower quality materials. ...to me it makes Samsung's devices seem lower quality even though their internals help say otherwise. Can you imagine how awesome the (and preferred) the Galaxy Nexus might have been with a metal/Kevlar casing?

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
won't matter even if it had tegra 3. apples highly overpriced, overhyped, overdramatized ipad 3 aka new ipad has a better soc. a lot of people didn't buy tegra 2 stuff, now when tegra 3 is slowly getting into market apple upstages it with their own soc.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]De5_roy[/nom]won't matter even if it had tegra 3. apples highly overpriced, overhyped, overdramatized ipad 3 aka new ipad has a better soc. a lot of people didn't buy tegra 2 stuff, now when tegra 3 is slowly getting into market apple upstages it with their own soc.[/citation]
I had a tegra 2 tablet, but thanks to android it always felt laggy compared to ipads. Even though it's specs were better (especially the 1200x800 screen) it just didn't feel snappy like the ipad does.
I liked the expandability and USB ports etc, but android still has a really long way to go to match the UI smoothness and general fit and finish of apple's device.
I generally dislike apple stuff, but the new ipad is probably going to empty my wallet over an upgraded google-based tablet. Android really feels like google just copied (sometimes badly) things they saw other companies doing, and never bothered to get them working at their optimum. I've yet to use an android phone that feels anywhere near as robust as my HTC Titan, seems they are all cheap plastic ala samsung, but at least they don't have retarded engineers and a CEO who though it was a brilliant idea to stick the antenna on the exterior of the phone despite being told it would cause big problems.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Again, I have a Razr Maxx, and its a high-quality device with excellent build quality and materials. Its fast, but lack the polish of iOS...however, its customibility makes up for that largely, especially since I do have iOS devices when I want a polished experience. I pretty much have to forget about ICS...by the team my phone gets it Jelly Bean or something else relevant will have much surpassed it. Its a shame that this is the problem we face with Android but it is what it is.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Not sure how they'll be able to sell it that low w/ compromising a lot.
Apple has raised the screen bar quite a bit w/ their "retina" density. The Transformer Infinity would have made a huge stir if it had been released first, but the pixel density is now less than the "market leader"...

psychobob

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]I had a tegra 2 tablet, but thanks to android it always felt laggy compared to ipads. Even though it's specs were better (especially the 1200x800 screen) it just didn't feel snappy like the ipad does.I liked the expandability and USB ports etc, but android still has a really long way to go to match the UI smoothness and general fit and finish of apple's device.I generally dislike apple stuff, but the new ipad is probably going to empty my wallet over an upgraded google-based tablet. Android really feels like google just copied (sometimes badly) things they saw other companies doing, and never bothered to get them working at their optimum. I've yet to use an android phone that feels anywhere near as robust as my HTC Titan, seems they are all cheap plastic ala samsung, but at least they don't have retarded engineers and a CEO who though it was a brilliant idea to stick the antenna on the exterior of the phone despite being told it would cause big problems.[/citation]

I caved and bought myself a new Ipad 2 for $370 last week. I've had an Asus Transformer and Touchpad with CM9 which I sold. I also have a DroidX. And the difference between IOS and Android is like night and day. Everything is so smooth and works so well. Not only that, but the A5 smokes the Tegra 2 which i never knew. I still dislike Apple, their closed ecosystem and business practices. But It is hard to deny the quality of their products.

I was also planning on upgrading to an upcoming android phone, possible the Galaxy S3, but now i'm probably going to wait for the Iphone 5. Since I bought some Ipad apps, I'd hate to have to repurchase on android. They've already got me hooked like the rest of the iSheep!

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
the iPad 2 may have a faster gpu than the tegra 2 but the CPU is slower. The reason why the iPad 2 is performing so much better for you is because apple put a lot of work into making the OS efficient. The OS is designed to run smoothly on a slower single core CPU with 256 MB memory, so when it gets put on a device that has more than twice the CPU performance, better GPU performance, and twice the RAM, you get a very snappy OS.

Android uses a ton of memory just for the core OS content, and very little optimization is done.
If they were to restrict the developers to slower hardware and demand that they make it have smooth animations and minimal delays in responding to user input, then it will be extremely responsive and snappy on modern devices. (ps iOS buffers a lot of the ui elements into memory at startup and it also reuses a lot of the vector based content so buffering all of the ui elements takes very little memory.

tldr the iOS is a much more efficient OS so even on slower hardware, it will feel faster as there will be fewer delays in responding to user input. They also run all animations at 60FPS on the OS (something that android does not do)

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Jelly Bean coming soon? And there's still less than 2% of the Android devices out there running ICS. Lame.The only thing a super-cheap Google tablet is going to do is remind people why they should have spent the extra money and purchased a "real" tablet in the first place.And why use the Nexus name? Isn't that reserved for a top-of-the-line device?[/citation]

The Nexus name is reserved for the devices that are geared more towards Developers. They are not necessarily the top of the line device. Instead, their main features are a Stock OS, Unlockable/Rootable, and direct updates from Google themselves.

I have a feeling that Google and Asus are splitting the costs of the tablets where Google won't profit from the actual sale directly, but through the potential ad revenue from the apps downloaded onto those purchased tablets. This should allow both Asus and Google to profit from what appears to be a low-priced tablet.

For power users like myself, a Nexus tablet would be a dream because developers would be able to optimize ICS-roms for it so that it will run smoother than on most tablets. For the average consumer, the $150 price-tag is hard to ignore, especially considering many of the apps are free.

Right now, I would like to have a tablet because of the larger screen as compared to my phone. For GPS, controlling my HTPC, reading news on the web, etc, a tablet is much preferred for me. If the tablet has bluetooth, I can use Google Voice to make phone calls on it via WiFi or Tether.

Yes, iOS is smooth on great hardware. But if you can't afford a BMW, you buy a Toyota. When it comes to Luxury vs. Practicality, the Price is the defining factor.

tslot05qsljgo9ed

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Tegra 3 only costs $35. A low end SOC will cost $15 so that only works out to be $20 in savings.

So what else gets cut to make up the other $30?

I was excited about buying the $249 10" Google Tablet with the Tegra 3.

Now that Google has decided to dumb down the tablet to toy status I will no longer be a buyer.

[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]The only thing a super-cheap Google tablet is going to do is remind people why they should have spent the extra money and purchased a "real" tablet in the first place.[/citation]
I correctly predicted before the iPad's release that it would sell extremely well if Apple could hit the $500 price point. Mark my words, if someone can hit sub-$200 on a well-built 10.1" tablet, it's going to relegate $500 iPads to a 5% market share like Macs currently hold in the PC market.

$500 for a tablet makes it a luxury item, and almost completely out of reach for anyone not in a first-world country. Sub-$200 puts it within reach of most of the world, and makes it practically disposable in first-world nations. People will start leaving them next to the toilet in lieu of magazines. Businesses will start using them to replace clipboards.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Mark my words, if someone can hit sub-$200 on a well-built 10.1" tablet, it's going to relegate $500 iPads to a 5% market share like Macs currently hold in the PC market.

Even a $300 tablet can relegate the iPads to the dust bin provided people grew informed. Apple success is based on hype and propaganda mediated by the narrowly owned media. Why a drm infested device like the iPad should be so popular in beyond reason. Imagine purchasing a device that limits the existing web by 30% due to its lack of flash and java support. Imagine using a device lacking on connectivity, sporting no micro sd port, and largely behind the technology curve even with its hyped "retina display" manufactured by no less than Samsung who refuses to use it in its high end devices. Imagine a device almost lacking in repair-ability with its 2 in 10 repairability score-- Imagine Apple. The death of the iPad will come when the masses of morons who are zombied into purchasing Apple's shiny overpriced locked-down products wakes up, but given their lack of technological sophistication it seems unlikely this will happen soon.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Google Nexus Tablet Won't Have Tegra 3? Well la-di-da!!! New iPad is raping it!!! And tegra 3 is an inconvenience for android, because of the proprietary stuff, that nVidia haz put in... there is practical a need for separate google android version just for tegra, to take full advantage of the hardware... tech demo waz impressive, but this waz a in hause tech demo... in the end, not all android users are using tegra...

Status
Not open for further replies.