Google: One in Ten Devices Running Ice Cream Sandwich

Status
Not open for further replies.

dosdecarnitas

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
And you wonder why Apple stands where it stands

thats main reason i returned to iOS,i loved my motorola Droid with its real keyboard but its just stupid that one has to wait this long just to update

Google just needs to change their agreements with Manufacturers. If they want to make the phone it needs to just have a vanilla version of Android. While Google is to provide the necessary drivers or the manufacturer can provide drivers to Google to keep updated for each OS update. Manufacturers can add their own Apps and backgrounds but the OS itself must be unaltered and simply take updates from Google as Google releases them.

That or the phones must be configured so that a user can opt to choose between waiting for updates from the manufacturer or just download updates from Google changing their OEM OS to a Vanilla version. Without the need for rooting or any other special hacks or tricks.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]If people didn't hack their devices, the number would be 1 in 30.[/citation]

Agreed. Still waiting for ICS to be officially released for my phone. If it doesn't happen soon, I'm going the "root my phone" route.

If the phone phone manufacturers would step it up and actually get ICS to their devices, this number would be a lot higher though.

G

I have a Moto android from Sprint, and not expecting to even get ICS until Q4. The fact that the networks have so much control over mobile OS distribution is the problem. It doesn't help that the vast majority of users could care less about their phone's OS version, and they'll just get whatever's on their next phone after an upgrade 1-2 years down the road.

G

you can't blame google for that - they released the code for ICS one month after rolling it out with the galaxy nexus. the phone manufacturers take their sweet time to release the updated.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
The sony update system has trouble finding my wifi, even though my phone is happily connected to it.

As such, my enthusiasm was quickly drained after spending a few hours not getting anywhere.

G

for those of you complaining about not getting updates quickly enough - this is WHY I chose Android. All you have to do is buy a nexus branded phone like the Galaxy Nexus or the Nexus S which you can basically get for free now. Not to mention that those of you comfortable with rooting can easily be running Jellybean right now and it was only announced days ago.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
That's just 10% of the people using Google Play. I find that static highly doubtful.

Heck, my friend's Xperia is still on Eclair because Rogers won't approve updates.

AusVip3r

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Filiprino, velocityg4 and mr dod. U are all incorrect. It is not right to say you can't blame Google when they released the code only a month after the "LAUNCH" of the nexus. Samsung had been working off of ICS's blueprints for months to make them work on the Galaxy Nexus' hardware. Google provides these to manufacturers, which form the foundation of the finished OS we receive on our phones. The manufacturers such as HTC need to then take this and make it work for there phones. There's no compatibility built in for all the various modems and cpu/gpu combos out there, let alone all the different bands around the world. Most of the time is spent making the OS work on your phone and not necessarily SKINNING it with sense and touchwiz. Yes this takes time but nowhere near as long as making it function on the hardware. Take vanilla ICS, this took Samsung months to make work on the galaxy nexus with no skin. So releasing ICS to manufacturers a month after the launch is already a 6 month head start on everyone else. This is why i am very pleased that 4.1 will be coming to 5 nexus phones. Most likely HTC, Samsung, Sony, LG, Motorola. This way we can have a choice of manufacturer and not have to wait months after the official launch to get a taste of JB and even better get updates to future OS like current Nexus owners benefit from. Can't wait for HTC's follow up to there beautiful One X running JB, which hopefully is one of these said devices. Thanks for reading this if u bothered :p

TL;DR Google needs to provide all manufacturers with there new android version at the same time so we can get it on our phones faster. Not let the one manufacturer of there nexus device work on it for months before the official release and force the other manufacturers to play catch up. Forcing us to wait many months after the nexus device has been launched to get a workable version on our phones.

G

Well I'm on my last Samsung device ever. I have both a Droid Charge and a Tab 10.1, each less than a year old, and I'm running 2.3 and 3,2 respectively.

This is ridiculous, and my next devices will be Apples. Screw Samsung.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
ya, stupid carriers hardly ever update their phones. they use updates against us to force a new purchase. If you want the regular updates, Nexus are the phones to get.

jakmove

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
You can blame google for this. You can say, here's the OS, take it or leave it. Like someone else said, this is a way for the phone manf to make money. They can sit on the update for a couple months, and force people to buy a new phone. If I were the manufacturer, I'd be doing the same thing. Whoe cares about the brand new phone you just bought, it's not the latest and greatest, so you should buy this one. Also, since Samsung has the blueprints for a couple months before the new phone is released, why not divide the company into projects for each phone. if you can't keep up with the phones, stop producing a million different ones.

I don't understand why I can update my 2 year old iPhone the day the software comes out, but can't update the brand new Samsung Galaxy Note that I bought 4 months ago. (I did hack it to install ICS on it; but the average user won't/don't know how) I'll wait to see what the new iPhone provides, I might be switching back.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I would much prefer if the only piece of hardware running android was the Nexus brand of phones. Then again android wouldn't have gotten as much popularity.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]ausvip3r[/nom]Filiprino, velocityg4 and mr dod. U are all incorrect. It is not right to say you can't blame Google when they released the code only a month after the "LAUNCH" of the nexus. Samsung had been working off of ICS's blueprints for months to make them work on the Galaxy Nexus' hardware. Google provides these to manufacturers, which form the foundation of the finished OS we receive on our phones. The manufacturers such as HTC need to then take this and make it work for there phones. There's no compatibility built in for all the various modems and cpu/gpu combos out there, let alone all the different bands around the world. Most of the time is spent making the OS work on your phone and not necessarily SKINNING it with sense and touchwiz. Yes this takes time but nowhere near as long as making it function on the hardware. Take vanilla ICS, this took Samsung months to make work on the galaxy nexus with no skin. So releasing ICS to manufacturers a month after the launch is already a 6 month head start on everyone else. This is why i am very pleased that 4.1 will be coming to 5 nexus phones. Most likely HTC, Samsung, Sony, LG, Motorola. This way we can have a choice of manufacturer and not have to wait months after the official launch to get a taste of JB and even better get updates to future OS like current Nexus owners benefit from. Can't wait for HTC's follow up to there beautiful One X running JB, which hopefully is one of these said devices. Thanks for reading this if u bothered TL;DR Google needs to provide all manufacturers with there new android version at the same time so we can get it on our phones faster. Not let the one manufacturer of there nexus device work on it for months before the official release and force the other manufacturers to play catch up. Forcing us to wait many months after the nexus device has been launched to get a workable version on our phones.[/citation]

First off, one of the very advantages of Nexus line of devices is the newest Android OS. It would kill the Nexus for the average user if the exact same OS was available on every other device at the time. Second, I can blow your answer to shit by stating the unpaid open-source developers that program over a few weekends of the month are way faster than the manufacturers in release updates for their phones. Plus the Open-source releases tend to be more stable than the manufacturers' release.

There isn't much incentive for manufacturers to update their old phones as it would kill sales for their new phones. The older the phone, the less inclined the manufacturer would be to update it, regardless of hardware. The Epic 4G, and Evo 4G are capable of running ICS, but both HTC and Samsung killed update support for the both because neither phones are making them anymore money.

The update support from Apple is a diamond... in the 20ft pile of manure that the greedy, anti-competitive, patent trolls they are.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
If manufacturers and carriers didn't wait as long as possible before releasing updates, adding in some bloatware and unwanted skins along the way, things would be much better. Sure, slow updates might entice a few people to buy new phones, but most are locked into contracts and don't want to spend more money to upgrade, and besides, slow updates just encourage people to buy a different brand instead. For instance, I had a Canon printer, and it had terrible driver support. Since they didn't want to spend a few bucks supporting it decently, I was forced to replace it - but this time with a DIFFERENT brand! I'll never buy a Canon printer again.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
If manufacturers and carriers didn't wait as long as possible before releasing updates, adding in some bloatware and unwanted skins along the way, things would be much better. Sure, slow updates might entice a few people to buy new phones, but most are locked into contracts and don't want to spend more money to upgrade, and besides, slow updates just encourage people to buy a different brand instead. For instance, I had a Canon printer, and it had terrible driver support. Since they didn't want to spend a few bucks supporting it decently, I was forced to replace it - but this time with a DIFFERENT brand! I'll never buy a Canon printer again.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.