Google Phone Could be Data Only, VoIP Calling

Status
Not open for further replies.

kstrat2001

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I've been thinking about doing this for a while now. It would be nice if it were easier to connect to hotspots for VoIP. I think if free hotspots allow for automatic connection this could work but I just keep finding hot spots with some kind of signup/login page and some ridiculous process for getting in. This is especially important for incoming calls. If you are out on the town you can't be expected to maintain a connection manually wherever you go.

joshthor

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
i would absolutely buy it. it would save money by not having to buy an expensive calling plan and text plan on top of data.

voidprayer

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
And with this will come the death of charging by the minute! Since voice communication is really just another form of data, it makes sense. We need to get away from the 20th century idea of a "phone" anyway. What these are are communication devices. Now only if Google didn't have to work with a big telco to provide data to that phone we'd really see progress, and competition.

G

I am already using VoIP for most of my phone calls, many companies have already switched to VoIP, and most of my friends already have SIP numbers. Especially with applications like Fring, Truphone, etc. becoming popular on smart phones and SIP numbers appearing on executives' business cards, it's becoming a VoIP world.

MrHectorEric

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I'd be all for a data only phone. It's annoying having to select a voice plan, a text plan, and a data plan. Of course it would have to be cheaper than the 3 combined in order to sell me on it.

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
"And Google may be lining up at least AT&T to provide those data services for the Google Phone, says one person we spoke with today."

Not AT&T again. I hope for Google's sake that they've been following the whole AT&T vs. Verizon fiasco and choose not to go with AT&T. Or at least go with multiple providers.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]Dandalf[/nom]Not in the UK lady. Air latency is vagina. I'd only be able to call within wifi areas.[/citation]
How is it vagina? It's warm, moist and smell funny? I don't envy the UK! Or do I?

BoxBabaX

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]How is it vagina? It's warm, moist and smell funny? I don't envy the UK! Or do I?[/citation]

This. Hahaha, well done :D.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
I'm amused at how everyone automatically assumes that voip calls will be free so this will work out to be a lot cheaper.
AT&T won't allow Google to compete with their existing market where they've already found that most of the population will happily pay $60-$100 per month for a cell phone. AT&T won't give that up easily.
Can you imagine AT&T not being interested in finding different ways to charge you for the same old rope?

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
about damn time! no more data-sms-talk-a million other categories of fees, just to make it look like your getting lots of stuff for your lots of money!

and wtf? voip should be free? it should count towards your data allowance, but charging extra for using your data to talk would be...

you know... that thing where the gov was like, no isps, you can't discriminate based on the type of data being transmitted.

G

The Google Phone will be free.
http://nofilmschool.com/2009/11/the-google-phone-will-be-free/

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Jesus NOOOOOOO!!!! I hope it isn't just a VoIP phone. It would be nice to have it be an EXTRA feature however if it was just a VoIP phone it wouldn't appeal to me.

G

If you Would like this Sevrus Now Do The Folowing
A. Rent yourself A 3g DATA Sim Card Pop It In To A Phone With Surport For Apps Like Fring (I Havent Come Aross It Must Cheak It out) Or Skype. There Are Lots Lots More.

G

This leads to the metered internet that all the big ISPs are aching for. Backlash for wired metering put that back in the box for now but wireless should be a piece of cake for them to figure out how to get charges back to $100/mo.

Status
Not open for further replies.