News Google Pixel 5a release , price, specs and leaks

Feb 26, 2021
I cannot understand why the most important feature of a phone remains the camera. Pixel 4a unique feature was the form factor. And still there is no real completion in this aspect. So the only thing Google can fix is the world wide availability. 350 USD might be a good price point, but this corresponds to at least 500 USD in Europe which much more expensive by any competitor in hardware direction. And those prices are for the riches countries. For the countries with less income, where Google doesn't sell A phones, the price goes 700 USD on the gray market. Iphone se is 100 USD cheaper. Absolutely no reason to buy it, even if you want it. And on the rich market such as Germany also no one wants it, since it is targeted to "poor" people

I hate big phones, but shall I go for Pixel A with same specs as Xiaomi which I can buy in any store for 200 USD with the same specs but with 7 inch display - ha ha

BTW MIUI and any Chinese UI except Huawei's EMUI is much better than pure Android favored by radical fans.

Reactions: Jair ed
Mar 28, 2021
@Ipolit Interesting take from a global perspective, although they're apparently doing quite well in India. The logistics, import fees, and VAT cause prices to be quite a bit higher in Europe. I imagine Google hates all of the lawsuits they get from there and probably want to give them the middle finger with higher prices too.

Anyhow, I think the budget friendly pixels are a good thing and remind me of the good ole days with Nexus phones. The cameras are important for most buyers, because people don't carry DSLRs around daily. Most people love to quickly share photos on FB, Instagram, etc. so it's a huge selling point.

Buying those Chinese brands might be cheaper but have a different cost to consider... privacy. (Not that Google is stellar in that regard, but it's better than the Chinese government)

Apr 29, 2021
I cannot understand why the most important feature of a phone remains the camera. Pixel 4a unique feature was the form factor. And still there is no real completion in this aspect. So the only thing Google can fix is the world wide availability. 350 USD might be a good price point, but this corresponds to at least 500 USD in Europe which much more expensive by any competitor in hardware direction. And those prices are for the riches countries. For the countries with less income, where Google doesn't sell A phones, the price goes 700 USD on the gray market. Iphone se is 100 USD cheaper. Absolutely no reason to buy it, even if you want it. And on the rich market such as Germany also no one wants it, since it is targeted to "poor" people

People who care about phones being for poor people probably aren't much fun at parties.

I hate big phones, but shall I go for Pixel A with same specs as Xiaomi which I can buy in any store for 200 USD with the same specs but with 7 inch display - ha ha

BTW MIUI and any Chinese UI except Huawei's EMUI is much better than pure Android favored by radical fans.

At a certain point phone screens are overkill, both for portability and a real desire to watch/play on a big screen (tablet/phablet?).

Also I think it's kind of funny arguing about Android flavors of UI. I gave MIUI a look and looked at some of the features. Not being able to change my font to Comic Sans is a big pain-point for me not choosing Apple or Google lol.