Review Google Pixel 6 Pro hands-on review: A smarter flagship

Apr 15, 2022
As of April 15th 2022

The phone WOULD be great if it worked. In 1 month I've factory reset my Pro6 3 times now.

AI photo edit is great - when it doesn't cause the phone to reboot

The camera app crashes all the time, causes the phone to random reboot when you open it or change modes. Forget 3rd party apps the Google apps do not even work on this phone. This includes Photos, Gmail, Drive,Chrome, Maps - the app flashes open then closed again, eventually the phone will do a random reboot again. Chrome wouldn't work at all even after a reboot, the only thing that fixed it was a factory reset (clear cache etc didn't work).

Google maps locks up sometimes and a reboot is the only way to fix it - which is always fun at 70mph. Bluetooth disconnects from car all the time, in fact once while navigating it decided to forget the cars pairing and I had to stop and re-pair the device to the car.

The phone has taken 3 android updates in the single month I've had it.

I've got 30 years software dev experience and never ever seen anything that bad - how it passed DevTest let alone QA is beyond me.

I've just received my replacement phone today from Google, because costing them money is the only way they are going to fix this.

An example of gmail crashing yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/4iGL7vw-2cE

Apr 17, 2022
The Pixel 6 Pro phone is a worthless device - I own TWO. I've got over 30 years of dev experience also and I wouldn't buy this phone for a dead squirrel! The apps work (V12, Android, most recent release as-of 4/17/2022) but the phone, used as a phone, has VERY serious issues. Pictures are great! Text messaging... well you can lose your ENTIRE active text message that you're working on and you MUST restart. Zilch saved as temporary and NO way to recover. It's lost and never to be seen again.
Phone calls.. if you don't catch the inbound call then just hope and pray that the Recent inbound calls are quickly updated (normally true, but don't expect a lot). I had a call in the last several days come in and it's in "the cloud" floating around someplace.
So, great camera, extremely bad phone, bad for active text messages and the locations of various options are "hidden in plain site". Once you find them, fine. Nuances on what happens if you select some "option"... who knows! ;-(
Connectivity to Google contacts? I still can't determine how to do a Group list/search. Some of my Google contacts seem to be lost on the phone but not lost on my Windows-based workstation. I have NO idea why. My previous LG phones (Android, v9 and v10) had NONE of the above issues.
These nuances just 'pop up' so it's challenging to debug but it's frequent enough that it destroys my day and attitudes of that day - unless I just want to carry around a $1000 camera and boat anchor.

Reactions: MortenS
Sep 5, 2022
This review has soured me on trusting TG any more. This phone is an absolute disaster.

1. The charging time is so aggravating. Supposedly the battery life is being prolonged by the slow charge. My last phone an S10+ charged faster than this thing after 5 years of use, and held that charge longer.

2. Overheating. If the phone is in a case, and it's trying to connect to wifi without finding a connection it gets hot. So hot is disables features. What a smoking turd feature.

3. App exits. Almost all apps let you exit one screen or another with a swipe up or right, etc. It's situationally dependent. But the 6 Pro can't get out of most full screen images in apps. You have to exit the fkn app then go back to it. Guardian app,, facebook, insta, etc.

4. The swipe up and across. A swipe from the bottom up, then right, is supposed to being the array of apps up for closure or close all. It RARELY WORKS. Instead, it swipes up, and sets the apps where they can't be enlarged or closed.

5. The camera bar is a pain, sticking on tight pockets making a "flat" phone lay at an angle, etc.

6. The camera is awful in dark light. The delay while you hold on the object varies wildly, with no indicator if you're going to get an image or a blur.

7. Audio settings. You might think that turning the master volume down lowers all volumes. It doesn't. And of course, I forget, and my phone notifications blast out in a room when the master is down, because there are actually 4 master volumes.

I've been visiting Tom's for over a decade, was a regular visitor when it was just a forum for techies. I bought this phone to replace my 5 year old S10+, and I wish I'd never done so.

Sep 19, 2022
It lags sometimes and the screen is not very responsive.
Takes ages to charge with the cable included.
And! And this is fantastic! It wouldn't take any eSIM. I tried with Chilimobil, Verizon and TMobile.

I bought it in Norway and are now on a project for over 2 months in USA.
Support admit it is a problem with the phone after lots of phonecalls and mails and visit at a Google repair partner.
But...says because I bought it in Norway I have to go back!? To Norway. Then contact support there to get it fixed . Crazy! And to make it even crazier support for the phone is delivered from USA!

Never buy a product again from Google!

Sep 23, 2022
I agree with one thing: the camera is great and that was the reason I bought it. What I also got was a phone that usually refued to charge with cargers and cables that works on everything else in the house. It could start charging but suddenly stop, so whem I came to pick it up, the battery might have gone down. Then after less than two months of use, the screen died. So, unless you want a phone that you cannot trust being charged and can do with a black screen - do not go for a pixel 6pro - and personally I'll stay away from google hardware in the future.

LR1

Feb 12, 2023
The Pixel 6 Pro is... without a doubt...the worst phone I've ever had. I've had this phone for nearly a year. It's my first, and last time I will ever consider a Google phone. I wish I could give it zero stars.
Pros: no bloatware like Samsung
Cons - randomly does the following: drops calls, doesn't ring with incoming phone calls, doesn't notify me when receiving texts, doesn't let me access voicemail, slow internet, goes blank when searching the net, camera was supposed to be exceptional, but my old Samsung was better...I could go on. What irks me is I'm still paying on this piece of garbage.
Google...never again.

Update: now the phone won't stay connected to my work's wifi, freezes on apps so I have to restart, heating up just with a phone call, sound will vary- when on speaker, sometimes people can't hear me...I call them back and it lasts for about 10 min, then can't hear again, battery life lasts about a day and sometimes a few hours even if I haven't been using the phone.

Google won't do anything because it's out of warranty (1 yr).
Google should acknowledge this model is a lemon and refund.

Mar 26, 2023
I will never buy a Google phone again. The software locks in the search bar at the bottom (can't even move it) and various other annoying things. I'd like to replace the Google newsfeed for instance, because the neverending cookie popups are driving me insane. Why can't I use a browser that will block advertising cookies automatically? I know Google makes money off selling my info to advertisers, but at least try to hide it.

Apr 29, 2023
Do not buy this phone. Battery life is poor, charging time is slow. So easily damaged and local businesses can't get parts so you have to send to Google and costs are 3x the costs I've paid for repairs to apple or haewui phones. However, the biggest issue is the camera. Try to use the camera and the phone shuts down. Not all the time but sods law says you have an important photo to take or need to pay a bill on bank app and need camera for facial recognition and the phone switches off. Loads of other reviews saying the same thing. Never again will I buy a Google phone. Avoid at all costs.