News Google Pixel 6 release , price, Tensor chip, specs and news

mrbofus

Distinguished
May 13, 2013
"Having to use a Chromecast (not to mention having to buy one in the first place) to get content from your phone to a TV feels so archaic, so this is something that Google could easily fix."

I would argue that having to use a cable to get content from your phone to a TV is archaic...

StuML5nm11TNclcsPs

Prominent
Aug 3, 2021
It's a long one, don't blame me, if you read it, it's your life, I do this for entertainment, if you have to perform brain surgery, do that, don't read this. I have the Mac Mini M1, it does machine learning, at 11 trillion calculations per second; my iPad Mini 5, does ML, at 5TFLOPS; Apple TV 2021, ML 5TFLOPS; iPhone X, 600GFLOPS. If I look at these devices, the Mac Mini, uses 5nm technology, at 16 billion transistors; the iPad Mini 5 and Apple TV, use the A12 chip, at 7nm, 6 billion transistors. Occasionally you see the power, for example optical caracter recognition, through Microsoft Lens, into Word, photography and video editing, in Google Photos, the way I get a suggestion, for Hindu audiobooks, when I'd given up earlier.

The price performance, in Apple, is pretty good, but I have an Xbox One X, at 6 trillion calculations per second, it's huge compared to the Apple TV, at 5 TFLOPS, but the Xbox, has a Blu Ray player. In spite of the Xbox, using 14nm technology, it has 750GB of good speed flash. The Xbox has 12GB of GGDDR5 RAM, at 4GHz, the flash, is 3 times as much as on my Mac Mini M1, the RAM, is 50℅ more than on my Mac Mini, there's 8 AMD X86 64 CPU cores, in the Xbox. The graphics would be where the Machine learning would take place, on the Xbox, the Xbox, cost $A330, the Mac Mini, cost $A1,100.

Tensor, will bring the Pixel up to Apple levels, of ML, however I'll be running Google apps and services, on my Apple equipment, using ML, for many years as Apple equipment, gets software updates for the operating system, for many a year. For affordability, you have to buy second hand Android phones, at 2 years old, the next year, you've got to buy another one. Which is why I bought the Acer Chromebook tablet, it gets software updates until 2028, as my second tablet, at only $A350, in 2021. How I loved my Nexus 9, with it's 198 GPUs, 64 bit processor, but it stopped getting software updates, for the operating system, long ago.

Maybe the Chrome operating system, will improve, over time, it's a bit beta, at the moment, 8 X 64 bit cores, 128GB flash, is a good base, to work with, perhaps I should have bit the bullet and gone for a MS Office 365 subscription, online. I run Word, on the iPad, but need the Mac, for the likes of cut and paste, I hope Google will focus, using Tensor. Because Apple is focused, reliable, simpler to run, using Apple silicon, system on a chip, power efficient, on chip RAM, it uses it's financial muscle, to make devices, that run Google services well. Things like Google assistant, Google photos, Chromecast, Google home, Chromecast, they work well together, for example for YouTube, from the iPad, to the Apple TV.

Things like catch up TV, streaming services, like Disney Plus run well, on the Apple TV, you can run enough apps, without the RAM, flash, running out, without the software crashing, well, less often. I hope Tensor, finishing Chrome, will give the reliability to Google, that Apple have, after all, Microsoft pinched Chrome, in Edge, Apples discipline, is a lesson. Like projects Butter and Volta, the early Nexus devices, so reliable, such good value, not saying the Apple memory tax, isn't bad, $600 to double the RAM and flash.

I spent $3,000 on Apple hardware, but in this cycle, I tried Microsoft, AMD, first, $2,000, too much work, for a consumer device, that's the reason Apple is worth $3 trillion. Microsoft and Google devices are too expensive, to make fast enough, but it's not a situation, that can't change, Microsoft once topped simplicity, Google once topped simplicity. I still use Google and Microsoft apps and services.

StuML5nm11TNclcsPs

Prominent
Aug 3, 2021
Yes, when I was still using pixel, I found the fingerprint recognition system, on the back, very convenient, being on the front, on a tablet is okay, Face ID, on the iPhone, is pretty convenient. I do love the biometric, Apple Pay, Google pay, who’s going to be able to remember different passwords, or set up a password system, that works across all devices, software. Who wants to spend all day tapping in passwords, when Google, Apple and Microsoft do it for us, work saved.

Reactions: bittoe

bittoe

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Fingerprint reader on the back was genius: I pick-up my phone, my finger is right where it's supposed to be and I am unlocked. -WAY faster than facial recognition

Things we'd like to see?
SD storage

ß

Reactions: svalentinul

jiminhno

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
Who's happy about the fingerprint reader being in display instead of in the back? This is the worst design change. Everyone I know has an easier time with it in the back. I hate this

Agree 100%, I have used all the Pixels including the Pixel 4, with face ID tech, and yes the phone unlocked fine and fast ,however, I much prefer the rear fingerprint to unlock and to swipe down the notification shade, hoping Google new in display finger print scanner is as flawless as the trusty old traditional one, on the Pixel 6/6PRO.

Sep 19, 2021
Who's happy about the fingerprint reader being in display instead of in the back? This is the worst design change. Everyone I know has an easier time with it in the back. I hate this
Pixel phone is perhaps the only decent phone in the market with a rear fingerprint sensor. I love it and chose it solely because of this feature not available in other brand phones. Perhaps Google may consider bringing a version with the rear fingerprint

Sep 28, 2021
I unlock my phone with it on a table all the time. That's why I hate Face ID on my iPhone, but at least I don't have to actually pick it up like I would if the sensor were on the back. Not being able to just reach over and unlock my phone is one of the main reasons I'm switching from iPhone, and if the Pixel 6's sensor is in the front, then I might consider it

Clintre

Prominent
Jul 17, 2020
I prefer it on the front, to be honest. I understand why some do like it on the back and I did not mind that too much. However, there are many times I do not pick up my phone from the desk or off the stand. When the scanner is on the back, I have to just to unlock it. I went to Samsung because of it. Just like there are many people you know that love it on the back, people I know love it on the front. They can't make everyone happy, I guess.

Reactions: VexusKey

GM619

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Yes I agree but that's not stopping me from wanting one:)

Oct 20, 2021
I'm very disappointed that the pixel 6 pro has a peak brightness of 500 nits. the iphone 13 has a peak brightness of 1000 nits and samsungs like 1300 nits. the pixel 6 pro is using samsungs latest LTPO diplay tech their is no reason to do this. 500 nits just wont cut it in direct sunlight, i guess google thinks people only live in a cave and never come out.

Oct 20, 2021
if my pixel 4 xl dies im probably gonna go back to apple since google fails me every single year. the first and last iphone i had was an iphone 4s.