Google Puts $100M into Zynga; Google Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
"Could Google's investment in Zynga be one small step in its overall picture to launch a social networking website?"

Could be... but yet another Facebook is hardly what we need. Facebook essentially became the new myspace by way of inheriting much of their user base. Unfortunately former myspace users never cut it out with the emo "my-life-is-so-horrible" posts when they migrated. We need a social network for the rest of us; something just a touch less immature. If it doesn't differentiate then it likely won't cut out its own space in the market.

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Facebook is the down fall of civilization. Sad to see google entertaining the idea. As for Zynga? Why waste your money. Create a gaming powerhouse of your own and make a game that actual PC gamers would like.

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Google really out to make a hardcore gaming company, even a console... Just imagine how many jobs that would create and it probably would be a quality console and game.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Farmville and the like are popular because they are integrated into Facebook. The fact that you can play the games "within" facebook is why they're so appealing, to facebookers.

Zynga is profitable as a company due to their less than honest billing policy. Didn't they get into big trouble for the scams they were running: "sign up for free* video games!! *with $19.95/month subscription to our worthless product catalog". They get you hooked on the games, then slowly make more and more content pay-only. It's like adding more and more nicotine to cigarettes.

Anyway, with so many other, and better, online game networks out there, why would Google put money into Zynga and not Pop-Cap (a publisher) or Shockwave (a hoster)? Yahoo has hosted their Games section for years, and I don't hear them complaining. Pop-Cap has been publishing online games for years, and I don't see them faltering either. Zynga? Seriously?

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]Shloader[/nom]We need a social network for the rest of us; something just a touch less immature.[/citation]

what about chatbag.com

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
[citation][nom]TheDuke[/nom]Zynga, rofl i'm surprised with how many people play their gamesthere are way better flash games out there[/citation]

Yes but 95% of the world doesn't know that. ;)

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
If you push crap hard enough, people will buy it. Britney Spears has sold more albums than Eminem, Journey, Scorpions, Prince, Bob Dylan, and many more talented artists. Facebook is evil and most of those FB games are lame. If you're going to waste time with a game, there are scores of better choices.

snowgoer1998

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
Know thy market...

That is one of the keys to any successful business model...

Zynga has figured out how to provide a service that (when I looked) 81 million people have at least tried out.

That ... and the target demographic...

I'll give you a clue... it ain't PC gamers....but ask their mom what they do on facebook and I'll bet you dollars to dognuts that the word "farmville" comes up

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]lauxenburg[/nom]Yes but 95% of the world doesn't know that.[/citation]

The problem is, that same amount also doesn't knew about the slew of spyware and adware that' packaged in those games.

Every time a PC comes through my department, it has Zynga adware. ; )

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
It is a sign of the coming Apocalypse, where games cease being 'fun'

With certain 'good' developers close to bankruptcy, why choose Zynga -- a malware developer.
How about hiring the guy responsible for Super Mario Bros Crossover instead.

I started playing mafia wars because my wife wanted me to join, a couple of minutes later I realized that it sucked and deleted. Games on facebook were a dumb idea to begin with, well I guess facebook is a dumb idea too.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Honestly we need a social networking site that was Facebook in its early days. Limited to higher education students, closed, fast and lightweight.

madass

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
A friend's girlfriend sets her alarm at 3 in the morning to water her seeds in Farmville....and I am called a gaming addict because I tried replaying Crysis......

Status
Not open for further replies.