Google Releases Chrome 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Just don't hit control + f and start typing KILL PAGE CRASH x 15 this morning alone ... why break ya fix

weefatbob

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
[citation][nom]lilkipper[/nom]Just don't hit control + f and start typing KILL PAGE CRASH x 15 this morning alone ... why break ya fix[/citation]

Yeah that has been a major PITA this past couple of weeks, has cost me some quite considerable amounts of work and time having to restart things after the damn search bug crashes the page.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
wonder if the gpu acceleration will effect browser based games like battlestar or if those were already taking advantage of the gpu.

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
People using Comcast's Xfinity TV online service have to stick with Chrome 9 for now... launching a movie in Chrome 10 just causes the page to refresh every second infinitely... due to the sandboxed Flash. Firefox 4 works but it can get bogged down. I moved the volume slider a few times w/o any response. A minute later the ghost (joke) took over and moved the slider hehe... Since I've mentioned chrome and firefox i'll also note that i tried IE9 and it didn't work at all for what I wanted to do so that's that. Im on IE8 for Xfinity/Netflix and Chrome 10 for the news like good ol' Tom's Hardware.

P.S. Can you please videotape some new processors bursting into flames after the heatsink falls off? It's been toooooo long (yeah you'll have to rig it but just make a disclaimer)....

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]zetzabre[/nom]and smooth scrolling is stil missing...pathetic google guys.[/citation]
Yeah, because stuff like stability and speed is meaningless in comparison to smooth scrolling.

Google did a better job than other browsers, in my opinion, on figuring out what a browser actually needs to be vs what's just fluff. AND, to top it off, are adding features at quite an alarming rate (hence the jump in version numbers).

zetzabre

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]Yeah, because stuff like stability and speed is meaningless in comparison to smooth scrolling.Google did a better job than other browsers, in my opinion, on figuring out what a browser actually needs to be vs what's just fluff. AND, to top it off, are adding features at quite an alarming rate (hence the jump in version numbers).[/citation]

everybody is doing that little guy. everybody is doing almost the same. chrome gives us good (but not best) performance, stability..blah,blah, blah. you can get all that with IE9, Opera, Safari (i wont list firefox because thats a horrible browser). but in the end, little differences make you the winner. it happens in real life all time.

you talk like a google fan, good for you. but you have to be more mature and smarter when commenting about quality. you have to be neutral and see good, bad and horrible. and this kind of "meaningless things" make the difference. in other words, Chrome is good in performance, but mediocre in details and features

pclee

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I find that Chrome 10 has good performance, but I can't understand why it doesn't work well with Moodle. As an educator this is a real problem. Chrome is still just the Ferrari.

FF is my Cadillac..."Diamond in the back sunroof top Diggin the scene with a gangsta lean....."

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Users with capped lines should be aware that the update is rather huge. Chrome itself did not indicate how many megabytes it was downloading which is fail imo. My bandwidth monitor shows 45 MB used today, and I have not used much data beyond updating Chrome today. Not good, not good at all.

Now for Chrome itself, let's hope it's faster than version 9, because Chrome 9 had less than half the speed of Firefox 3.6x

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I'm talking about general browser responsiveness. Try opening ~20 tabs in Chrome version 9. Now test switching between tabs, and see how long it takes after switching tabs before the new tab does anything useful aside from looking pretty.

Just from casual use I'm averaging between 1 and 2 seconds delay after switching tabs, and tab switching is not the only thing that causes minor lockups. Firefox response is near instant in comparison.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Ie9, FF, Google Chrome, they're all getting better over time. I have tried each one, and the ones I like in order are: Chrome=> FF> IE9

which do I use for my daily visit to the same 5 websites? IE.

regardless, each of these no longer support older flash web games. But that's the webmaster fault for not updating code.

G

Since the update, no URL appears in the URL bar. It remains blank. What's wrong and how to fix it?

xambron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]IE9 is DOA. nobody in their right mind will use ie over ff/chrome/opera, even if its faster[/citation]
I won't use IE or Opera over FireFox, and won't use any over Chrome.

zetzabre

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]IE9 is DOA. nobody in their right mind will use ie over ff/chrome/opera, even if its faster[/citation]

nobody in their mind would say "i will never use...."

if you hav eany brains, you will use the best browser (for your needs), no matter if it's IE, opera, chrome or firefox.

in my case i need speed and appearance. chrome is third in performance and last in appearance. opera is second in speed and appearance.

firefox is first in appearanc and last in performance.

safari fourth in performance and third in appearance.

IE is first in performance and fourth in apperance.

so, winner (for me): Opera

if i get a better bowser, even if it's IE, i will use. i dont care about ridiculous people who say "MS, never". so grow up and stop saying nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.