Google Responds to Steve Jobs' Activations Gibe

Status
Not open for further replies.

banthracis

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Both those numbers seem off. By Job's numbers, that's 7 millions new iphones/ipads in the last month. I don't think they've sold that many total, nevermind the last month.

Google's numbers would be at 6 millions android phones sold in the last month, which is more believable, but based on sales numbers released by the companies, still a bit high.

Clearly the term activation has to be properly defined.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
You'd think that after striking out at competitors after the iPhone 4 antenna fiasco and getting his ass handed to him by Nokia and RIM, Steve-O would have learned his lesson, but apparently not. Maybe this will do the trick.

Oh, who am I kidding. No it won't.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Do these activations include used devices purchased and activating a new contract? Just new devices purchased and starting a new contract? Or how many times an iPhone was turned on per day or what? New activations could mean so many things.... I still give Android the market overall. At the almighty Jobs' behest or not.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Steve thinks Android activation numbers were counting upgrades? Upgrades from what? The G1? Android didn't get mass market presence until November of 2009 with the launch of the Droid. How many people have upgraded their device within a year?

Also, 230,000 devices a day for iPhone 4, not including upgrades, doesn't sound right to me. Sounds way too high, not to mention Android has been gaining ground on iPhone in all of the polls.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
while the Android phones are selling more per quarter finally as of this last quarter reported, they do not have anywhere near the number of units sold that the iPhone has sold since release, nor do they have the higher marketshare of phones currently in use.

People like to quote part of the retail reports that says they had the highest marketshare of new smartphones sold in the 2nd quarter but like to forget that the same reports placed Android at 13% of overall marketshare and Apple at 28% with BB at 33% still holding on to the top spot.

And to the guy that said he didn't think that Apple had sold 7 million phones total, I am not sure if you are meaning the iPhone 4 hasn't sold 7 million quite yet or you really are talking total but the iPhone was well over 50 million in total sales since release last month when those same reports were released, or about 2.5 times the number of Android phones sold since it's release. Those numbers could have only gone up since then so they are probably closer to 60 million by now.

Plus the whole we aren't counting Android devices that don't have Google services thing is a lame excuse, as Android is a OS and if you count all Google devices sold then you have to count all iOS devices sold and that would be around 100 million and climbing.

oh and before it gets said I am not an iPhone user nor do I own any Apple products. Windows mobile 6.5 phone user and windows 7 computer user. Just tired of people twisting the truth when it comes to Android and then claiming the Apple users are the ones living in fantasy-land.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]banthracis[/nom]Both those numbers seem off. By Job's numbers, that's 7 millions new iphones/ipads in the last month. I don't think they've sold that many total, nevermind the last month. Google's numbers would be at 6 millions android phones sold in the last month, which is more believable, but based on sales numbers released by the companies, still a bit high. Clearly the term activation has to be properly defined.[/citation]
They count iOS devices which include iPads, not just iPhones.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]They count iOS devices which include iPads, not just iPhones.[/citation]
Ignore my comment completely did not see that you mentioned iPads too :p

volt-aire

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
As Mark Twain said, there are lies, damned lies, and statistics. Activations/day is such a bizarre way of tracking anything that I'm pretty sure the only reason they use it is so shareholders/potential customers see a large number with no real perspective. This is unlike, say, marketshare, where BlackBerry is still ahead of both of these newcomers (as dheadly pointed out).

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]dheadley[/nom]while the Android phones are selling more per quarter finally as of this last quarter reported, they do not have anywhere near the number of units sold that the iPhone has sold since release, nor do they have the higher marketshare of phones currently in use. People like to quote part of the retail reports that says they had the highest marketshare of new smartphones sold in the 2nd quarter but like to forget that the same reports placed Android at 13% of overall marketshare and Apple at 28% with BB at 33% still holding on to the top spot. And to the guy that said he didn't think that Apple had sold 7 million phones total, I am not sure if you are meaning the iPhone 4 hasn't sold 7 million quite yet or you really are talking total but the iPhone was well over 50 million in total sales since release last month when those same reports were released, or about 2.5 times the number of Android phones sold since it's release. Those numbers could have only gone up since then so they are probably closer to 60 million by now. Plus the whole we aren't counting Android devices that don't have Google services thing is a lame excuse, as Android is a OS and if you count all Google devices sold then you have to count all iOS devices sold and that would be around 100 million and climbing. oh and before it gets said I am not an iPhone user nor do I own any Apple products. Windows mobile 6.5 phone user and windows 7 computer user. Just tired of people twisting the truth when it comes to Android and then claiming the Apple users are the ones living in fantasy-land.[/citation]

Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.