Google Runs Out of Disk Space; Spams G+ Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Marketing genius.

"Oh nnoooess we didn't expects it would be THIS popular. We like.. *totally* ran out of disk space!!!! loool. We're so flattered it's proving so popular - thankss :D"

Of course, I'm trolling like a good'un - but I'm willing to bet a limb that I'm not all that far off the mark.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Uhmmm ... this was staged, you know that right?[/citation]
Totally agree! When I read the title of this "news", I immediately thought it was either a joke or a trick on Google's part. It's cheap marketing, and it always works!

G

It is easier to run out of disk than you think. And no, $500 at newegg is not going to get you the enterprise storage that you need to host this kind of stuff. I know just managing a few hundred servers all with storage can get tedious and stuff falls through the cracks even with monitoring software. No IT is bulletproof. And a marketing stunt would not have caused a disturbance like this did. Nothing to see here really.

G

Marketing stunt or not, marketing still cherished the opportunity.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]alexkitch[/nom]Marketing genius."Oh nnoooess we didn't expects it would be THIS popular. We like.. *totally* ran out of disk space!!!! loool.* We're so flattered it's proving so popular - thankss "Of course, I'm trolling like a good'un - but I'm willing to bet a limb that I'm not all that far off the mark.[/citation]
*We use 40MB hard drives so we'll quickly run out of disk space so we can make this claim.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I'm getting so sick all all these marketing stunts. It seems like everybody is clambering over each other just to whore media attention rather than focusing on actually being innovative.

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Guys come on, get real. you could not supply nearly enough space for the about 6 million users they have with $500 even before data redundancy (at least 3 times is standard). I really hope you weren't serious. That would be sad. you realize that at the most efficient capacity just buying HD (Low power drives FYI) you could only get 3.3Mb per person. Even before any kind of setup costs for the HD system the whole idea falls apart. there is no way that you do that on $500

That being said they should have had a lot more room form youtube servers. Maybe it was just google+ servers that ran out of HD space. Anyways it is very difficult to figure out if it was a marketing stunt or not. It is almost stupid to make any accurate prediction with the amount of info the general public has. Marketing stunt? who knows. I don't, and no one on this forum actually does.

wiley15

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
I hope people on this site realize that companies do not use $100 hard-drives you buy from newegg to run production systems for millions of users. Their drives would be multiple SANs costing 10's of thousands of dollars if not 100's.

drpasta

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
"ROFLMAO, ZFS...."

Even using ZFS, you _STILL_ need 3 copies of the data:

From Wikipedia:

"ZFS can heal the data if the storage pool has redundancy via ZFS type of mirroring or RAID.[17] If the storage pool consists of a single disk it is possible to provide such redundancy by specifying "copies=2" (or "copies=3") which means that data will be stored twice (thrice) on the disk"

What if you use mirroring/RAID, you might ask? Well, it's called "mirroring" because the data is mirrored, aka copied, 1 or more times.

So, again, 3 copies _STILL_ required, even with ZFS.

Sorry, but those are the requirements of serious businesses.

lethal decipher

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]drpasta[/nom]"ROFLMAO, ZFS...."Even using ZFS, you _STILL_ need 3 copies of the data:From Wikipedia:"ZFS can heal the data if the storage pool has redundancy via ZFS type of mirroring or RAID.[17] If the storage pool consists of a single disk it is possible to provide such redundancy by specifying "copies=2" (or "copies=3") which means that data will be stored twice (thrice) on the disk"What if you use mirroring/RAID, you might ask? Well, it's called "mirroring" because the data is mirrored, aka copied, 1 or more times.So, again, 3 copies _STILL_ required, even with ZFS.Sorry, but those are the requirements of serious businesses.[/citation]
You assumed I was ROFLing the fact that three (3) was rather extensive, as usual w/IT, DON'T ASSUME! Wikipedia it...

Point being don't yank my chain, its hilarious that you even had to Wikipedia ZFS, just shows how little you don't know about it, but research is good, +1 to you.

I'll leave it @ that instead of going into elaborate detail regarding how a single point of failure (or even two) still isn't triple redundant...

gawd u make me sic drpasta get a job troll fail...

lethal decipher

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]drpasta[/nom]"ROFLMAO, ZFS...."Even using ZFS, you _STILL_ need 3 copies of the data:From Wikipedia:"ZFS can heal the data if the storage pool has redundancy via ZFS type of mirroring or RAID.[17] If the storage pool consists of a single disk it is possible to provide such redundancy by specifying "copies=2" (or "copies=3") which means that data will be stored twice (thrice) on the disk"What if you use mirroring/RAID, you might ask? Well, it's called "mirroring" because the data is mirrored, aka copied, 1 or more times.So, again, 3 copies _STILL_ required, even with ZFS.Sorry, but those are the requirements of serious businesses.[/citation]
Yes they use the enterprise drives from newegg haha o almost forgot [/sarcasm]

lethal decipher

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]wiley15[/nom]I hope people on this site realize that companies do not use $100 hard-drives you buy from newegg to run production systems for millions of users. Their drives would be multiple SANs costing 10's of thousands of dollars if not 100's.[/citation]

Yes they use the enterprise drives from newegg haha o almost forgot [/sarcasm]

Status
Not open for further replies.