Google Shutting Down Nexus One Online Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElysianMerc

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Hope they put it out to retailers soon, come back from overseas soon and would like to pick one up on the way home possibly.

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Truely a sad day, IMHO. What you guys don't realize is the other Android phones may have features that are neutered due to the service providers (Sprint/Verizon) demands (eg: tethering, wifi hotspot). And you won't be able to download the lastest Android update until the manufacturer releases a version compatible with your specific android phone. With the Nexus 1, you get all the features and as soon as there is OS update from Google. Bam! you can DL it ...

jgalecio

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]vant[/nom]Why would anyone want a failed phone. Plenty of other great Android phones out there.[/citation]

Really? Failed? Failed in being adopted but not at being a great phone. I honestly bought this from having a 3GS and it blew the apple phone away hands down. Sure there are others phones out there (now) that does better, but at the time of arival the nexus one was what every other phone dreamed to be. If anything we can owe the Nexus One the grattitude to inspire companies to improve their shitty phones sp in the end he consumers will benefit. Unlike apples sorry ass its their way or the highway.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Not good. I got my N1 via the online store. The only 3G AT&T compatible that I liked. Put MoDaCo's custom ROM on it and never looked back. Best phone I've had so far.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
I love my N1. I am glad I got mine unlocked, without any ties to any cellphone company (granted, I have to use T-Mobile to get 3G - but I'm on wifi lots).

N1 > * (including that Droid Incredible... which people are heavily over-rating)

jgalecio

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]I love my N1. I am glad I got mine unlocked, without any ties to any cellphone company (granted, I have to use T-Mobile to get 3G - but I'm on wifi lots). N1 > * (including that Droid Incredible... which people are heavily over-rating)[/citation]

I agree. I have a ton of co-workes on Veizon who anxiously awaited the Nexus One but had to get a Incredible. When compared they still prfer the Nexus One =D Man are they gonna be even more sor when they find out how long it will take to get OS 2.2 on their phone and that the Nexus One will have Wireless N capabilities with froyo update.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
I wonder why the online store did not live up to Apple's expectations? I know Apple said people prefer to see devices and try devices before buying them. There's got to be more to it.

G

I think its obvious many potential buyers don't trust Google as they have Apple when buying a phone. The fact that has a very good computer OS made the iPhone stand out. Google is not known for great hardware and software. At least not yet.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]jgalecio[/nom]I agree. I have a ton of co-workes on Veizon who anxiously awaited the Nexus One but had to get a Incredible. When compared they still prfer the Nexus One =D Man are they gonna be even more sor when they find out how long it will take to get OS 2.2 on their phone and that the Nexus One will have Wireless N capabilities with froyo update.[/citation]
Interesting. The Broadcom wifi chip in the N1 is the same as the one in the original iPhone 3G which only supported 802.11a/b/g in hardware. How is Google adding support for 802.11n?

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Compared to the HTC Incredible and the upcoming Sprint EVO the Nexus one is an early adopters, oh shit I should have waited, purchase. Glad I waited.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]Interesting. The Broadcom wifi chip in the N1 is the same as the one in the original iPhone 3G which only supported 802.11a/b/g in hardware. How is Google adding support for 802.11n?[/citation]
http://www.broadcom.com/products/Bluetooth/Bluetooth-RF-Silicon-and-Software-Solutions/BCM4329 That is what iPhone and Nexus One use, and it is 802.11n capable. Apple has disabled it (probably leaving it for 4G) and Google was having driver problems (which seem to be fixed for 2.2).

ErrolDC

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
[citation][nom]daworstplaya[/nom]Truely a sad day, IMHO. What you guys don't realize is the other Android phones may have features that are neutered due to the service providers (Sprint/Verizon) demands (eg: tethering, wifi hotspot). And you won't be able to download the lastest Android update until the manufacturer releases a version compatible with your specific android phone. With the Nexus 1, you get all the features and as soon as there is OS update from Google. Bam! you can DL it ...[/citation]

Actually not entirely true. You can always hack your phone through a soft-update process that allows you to flash custom roms.
However, I do see your point - but carriers also have an interest in making sure their networks operate within certain tolerances.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I was actually going to buy one of these (unlocked) once my contract with ATT got closer to term. Just curious about the two models sold for ATT vs TMobile (different radio freqs)). I mean is this something that is software changeable? Lets say I buy the ATT one, then after my ATT contract ends, can I switch to TMobile?

jgalecio

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]I was actually going to buy one of these (unlocked) once my contract with ATT got closer to term. Just curious about the two models sold for ATT vs TMobile (different radio freqs)). I mean is this something that is software changeable? Lets say I buy the ATT one, then after my ATT contract ends, can I switch to TMobile?[/citation]

No the antennas run on a different frequency. I will assume you can use your att on the Tmobile but you will only get edge and vice versa if you have a tmobile nexus one and use on att.

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Here in the UK we only one retailer for the Nexus One, which is far from perfect. It would be nice to have a bit more competition and not a fixed market.

Status
Not open for further replies.