Google Splitting Android 5.0 Jelly Bean to 5 Manufacturers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Google has to rush Andriod 5.0 out by the tnd of the year because it will have to have something new and fresh to compete with Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 (Apollo) which are due to launch around Sept-Oct '12. Once MS gets it's finger out, they really have the potential to build a massive eco system with Consoles, PCs, Laptops, Tablets and Phones all being able to connect together to share apps and software while with the added benefits of cloud computing to access data from whatever device you are using.

Android has had a good run and is now established as a phone OS but it has never been the threat to Apple that people thought it may become.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
"But here's the catch: because these phones and tablets aren't sold through networks, they'll be unlocked and SIM-free."

I see the catch: we get to be able to buy unlocked phones and actually own them, and also get to choose what SIM card (hence network) to use it on; yeah, a major drawback... I just can't understand how the rest of the world (where one can already do that) lives with itself...
/sarcasm

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]Once MS gets it's finger out, they really have the potential to build a massive eco system with Consoles, PCs, Laptops, Tablets and Phones all being able to connect together to share apps and software while with the added benefits of cloud computing to access data from whatever device you are using.[/citation]

It's not all they're doing. Microsoft wants PCs and smartphones to share the same user interface and apps... which means the lowest common denominator will rule on both counts. PC gets an inferior user interface (because it can be used on phones) and inferior applications (because they can run on phones). Microsoft can't get any traction in the mobile market, so they want to turn PCs into mobiles and they don't want users to have any say in it (that's why you can't disable Metro).

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
"But here's the catch: because these phones and tablets aren't sold through networks, they'll be unlocked and SIM-free."

That is not a catch but the opposite of a catch.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
If all phones were unlocked they would sell for around $200- 300 dollars, just like Ipods and 7" tablets. There is no justification for them selling for $500 dollars. Its just a gimmick to force people into buying contracts.

I see this as a very good thing. If Google pull this off, the consumer could be the big winner. Of course there will still be people who line up to get contracts, but that's fine for them.

G

Very pleased with this announcement. An htc follow up to the brilliant one x, with jelly been on it and assured instant updates will be such a bonus.

xyriin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]Google has to rush Andriod 5.0 out by the tnd of the year because it will have to have something new and fresh to compete with Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 (Apollo) which are due to launch around Sept-Oct '12. Once MS gets it's finger out, they really have the potential to build a massive eco system with Consoles, PCs, Laptops, Tablets and Phones all being able to connect together to share apps and software while with the added benefits of cloud computing to access data from whatever device you are using.Android has had a good run and is now established as a phone OS but it has never been the threat to Apple that people thought it may become.[/citation]
Are you really trying to insist MS will build a massive eco system with WP? WP has been around longer than Android and has nothing to show for it. Android is still increasing it's marketshare lead over Apple, so I don't see how that doesn't constitute a threat. Less smoke and mirrors please.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
The obvious problem is the manufacturers are competitors. So you won't be seeing Samsung contribute any of it's TouchWiz4.0 to the community to be incorporated in stock Android. Microsoft can control this. Jelly-Bean won't automatically upgrade all devices already on the market just as ICS could not. It can only be fixed if Google out innovates everyone with such a compelling OS that you would not want to differentiate it from stock. No company is able to that unless they have licensing terms. We need to accept Android for what it is open and greatly modifiable. It is not a problem it is a feature.

What happened to bring your own phone! Mobile Providers! Just give me a rebate for moving or staying. I will buy my own device un-subsidized and you give me the money I would have saved with the subsidized phone. Oh, that is right there is that price-fixing thing with manufactures.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Why is it important that anyone upgrade to ICS before Jellybean launches? Google is not on the 5-7 year OS update plan that we might be accustomed to from Microsoft.

I prefer a release-it-when ready approach which is what Google seems to be doing. I will upgrade to 4.0 as soon as a ROM is available for my phone but if 5.0 is available first I may just upgrade my phone at that time.

This seems good for the consumer overall by not artificially extending the life of the last update.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
wow 5.0 soon, glad i bought the samsung galaxy nexus with the promise of getting os upgrades as they are released. though i agree i wish google would force carriers and phoen manifacturers to upgrade the os on existing phoens sooner, i just recently switched from WebOS to android and what was keeping me out of the pool all these years was seeing my wife's samsung intercept II and other devices that met hardware spec for updates like 2.3 that never came, I can say if i was deceived and my galaxy nexus doesn't get updates soon after they are released i'll hae my suspitions confirmed and it'll be my last droid device... but if as promised nexus lines ge tupdates up until the hardware can't handle it then i'll probably stay android for quite some time

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]"just got a bit more clearer."more clearer? Really?Back to school.[/citation]

It's Kevin.
Leave it be, it's more better that way.... heh.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]It's not all they're doing .... (that's why you can't disable Metro).[/citation]

You can bypass metro easily on the consumer preview, s your friend.

G

It is a catch, because now you are paying for an unsubsidized phone AND an expensive plan that's meant to give a return on a subsidy. Unless Carriers reduce plan rates for unlocked phones you will ALWAYS be raped (unless your goal is to hip-hop from carrier to carrier)

Status
Not open for further replies.