Google Street View Controversy: Next Up, Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Ahhahhaahahhaha!!!

Poor Google, so many people around the world are terrified of having their houses' pictures taken. I could drive down the street and look at the house, even stare at it, even draw myself a picture of it, but my the Lord help me if I try to take a picture of it.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I hope they take a picture of my place. It would be much easier to give people directions if they could actually SEE my house.

worst3

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
poor Google but, i have to agree that they should not be taking picture of people homes, for a few reasons. one is they have windows you never know what they might get a picture of. also if some one trying to sell there home and there house was in bad shape and some on looked at Google street to see it may turn off potential buyers. it also makes a thief's life easier he can learn what are better neighborhoods to steel from.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
What the hell is wrong with these "privacy" freaks? The ACLU and their kind are just out of control, even in other countries. What the deuce does anyone get from a streetview picture? They're entirely trying to stop humanity's progress.

For instance, cell phones that have built in GPS that show where your friends are (think Marauder's map from the Harry Potter books), will tectonically change society as we know it - we'll be able to hang out more with friends and family who we may have just passed by on the street without even knowing they were there. And they will be able to send an immediate SOS to authorities if you're ever kidnapped or in trouble. This is progress and these privacy jerks are out to stop it.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
For instance, cell phones that have built in GPS that show where your friends are

or your carrier or the government.

This is progress and these privacy jerks are out to stop it.

Progress is a subjective term.
Believe it or not I don't have some weird shelter in my basement and I don't subscribe to consipracy theories, but I'm not a fan of being tracked. I like my privacy.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The cell tracking thing is opt in, so its a non-issue (and whether you like it or not, the carrier and the gov't can already track your cell signal anyways). Google taking photos of your house doesn't give anyone any more information than they could already easily obtain.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
These people don't realize they are just creating their own Streisand Effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect).

If they just didn't make a fuss, who would even bother to look up the street view and notice their house? There are terabytes/petabytes(exabytes?) of data available from Google, how is someone going to accidently come across a picture of your house, and then use that maliciously? Trust me, if someone already has the intent of being maliscious towards you, they don't need google streetview telling them where you live or what your house looks like.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I don't get the fuss with people complaining about Street View, but if that's the law in Germany than Google shouldnt do street view in Germany. Fuck 'em. At least we still have Google Earth to make sure the German's aren't building any new camps.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I'm tired of Google going around thinking they are God like we are in their snow globe, that they get to peer in and shake things up like this. Who gives them the right?

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]I'm tired of Google going around thinking they are God like we are in their snow globe, that they get to peer in and shake things up like this. Who gives them the right?[/citation]

In Germany when photographing someone's property? Nothing - they are in the wrong (apparently).

In the USA when photographing someone's property? Their right to travel in a public place and let their eyes (and maybe cameras) look about.

I like how my wife defines privacy: Its what you have inside your house when you make an effort to secure it. This means if you want to walk around naked, then you need to shut your curtains. If you want to watch pr0n without anyone knowing, then freaking don't set your TV volume to max. However, you don't have the right to tell someone they can't look at your house from a PUBLIC space, like a road or from an airplane.

Status
Not open for further replies.