Google Sued For Tracking via Android Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
My guess is that they have clicked on TOS willingly, and it is stated somewhere there. Google says it is monitoring, but even if it said "we are not monitoring" I would say "yeah, right" and assume they are monitoring anyway, just not telling.

weefatbob

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
I would like to know, regardless of the morality of it all, how on earth that tracking data incurred to those "plaintiffs" (read chancers) $50 million in damages, talk about a fucked up legal system!!

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I opted in for it on purpose, I know people don't normally read what they're signing, I mean who reads the "terms and agreements" when they install games?

That's what I thought.. Where was I going with this..

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]weefatbob[/nom]I would like to know, regardless of the morality of it all, how on earth that tracking data incurred to those "plaintiffs" (read chancers) $50 million in damages, talk about a fucked up legal system!![/citation]
In a very optimistic forecast: The judge said "next time read TOS/EULA before clicking, next time don't buy anything Android related, next time maybe many more users will vote with their money till companies agree to satisfy customers better; but, this time you pay all the legal fees, since you seem to be handling enough money to make a claim of 50 million $" and closes the case giving the finger to both Google and the people suing.

G

Lawyers!
Ambulance chasers!
Dewey, Cheatem & Howe:

Plaintiffs = $1 each = $2
Attorneys = $50M - $2 = $49,999,998

Let hope that Google does not cope out and actively pursues a win... Enough is Enough.

G

Of course they a re tracking and using the data to further stupidfy the general masses of lemmings. The lemmings have all swore by Apple and/or Google for devices, while not realizing they are actually giving these companies the OK, to use their data to further manipulate them, market directly to them, and to customize user experiences, all at what price? The price is that someone who doesn't know you personally, and who doesn't care 2 cents about you, woll know more about you than your own mother...
Technology has finally crossed the personal privacy threshold, as we willing give up personal data and pay them for collecting it on a monthly basis.
Its called the best of both worlds, while Apple and Google enjoy billions in profit annually from selling this data to 3rd party vendors, the goverment, and anyone else with dollars to spare.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]virtualban[/nom]My guess is that they have clicked on TOS willingly, and it is stated somewhere there. Google says it is monitoring, but even if it said "we are not monitoring" I would say "yeah, right" and assume they are monitoring anyway, just not telling.[/citation]
Did you see South Park last week? Go to SouthParkStudios.com and watch HumanCentiPad. If you're a South Park fan and haven't seen it, you'll laugh at how closely this episode resembles your comment.

G

Does anybody who comments actually own an android....? When you buy it and start it for the first time, it asks you by taking you to the exact screen in settings and warns you. How is this in "TOS and they agreed to them but didn't read it...". You can access the setting at any time, even before you start to use the damn thing and stop it from ever tarcking anything. Bunch of Apple Fanbums!

realiltyscaresme

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
It is not "unknowingly" allowing them to use location services. It IS in the TOS and if some people chose not to read the TOS and EULA then that is on them. Litigation is the new Lottery... Odds of winning??? Based on the sympathy of the judge and jury...

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Did you see South Park last week? Go to SouthParkStudios.com and watch HumanCentiPad. If you're a South Park fan and haven't seen it, you'll laugh at how closely this episode resembles your comment.[/citation]
Yes, I had that exactly in mind when I first posted.

[citation][nom]Lifesavr[/nom]Does anybody who comments actually own an android....? When you buy it and start it for the first time, it asks you by taking you to the exact screen in settings and warns you. How is this in "TOS and they agreed to them but didn't read it...". You can access the setting at any time, even before you start to use the damn thing and stop it from ever tarcking anything. Bunch of Apple Fanbums![/citation]
And yes, I do have Android, and I love it, and would chose it again and again over Apple, but I will tinfoil-hat-like be suspicious of Google collecting my data even if I click no or disable, and will not be surprised if I find out some app from app-store, despite not stating it actually tracks me. Still, it's battery life why I keep my wireless off when not in use.

G

Its obvious for many users of these phones that they had no ideal how they work. GPS tracking is just part of the phone. Unless you can prove abuse of this information with Google or Apple or a third party. I don't see they have a case. If indeed this information does not share personal data but simply a link to the phone for location applications and functions. What is the big deal?

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
That's BS about people having to read the TOS. no one reads it because it is extremely long and cryptic. Something that oversteps expected privacy boundaries should be made clear by the company as a rule.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i have to say... who gives a flying f@$# if a company knows where i went or where i am.

lets say i go missing, would be a good convient way to find me.
say phone gets stolen, well again good way to find it
lets say that the company is monitoring where i go, what are they going to do? send a message to my phone about a sale that i may be interested in, exclusive cupons for more off than i normaly would get? thats actualy a plus.

people who complain about this are TO PARANOID
people who dont want ads DONT USE TECHNOLOGY, its cheap or exists because OF THE ADS
people who want to sue over this... they need to be shot.

askbrad

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I do believe they can do whatever the he'll they want with these phones. We do not have the RIGHT to cellphones. If you don't like how they are providing services, don't sign up. Yes, I have a droid. I've had droids since they came out. The SHEEPLE need to stop. However, in our. Current system, I can sue you for wearing a blue shirt. So, I hope Google just spanks them in court and shows them how stupid this is. The idiots don't realize that they will be responsible for Google's legal fees (millions) when they lose.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]askbrad[/nom]I do believe they can do whatever the he'll they want with these phones. We do not have the RIGHT to cellphones. If you don't like how they are providing services, don't sign up. Yes, I have a droid. I've had droids since they came out. The SHEEPLE need to stop. However, in our. Current system, I can sue you for wearing a blue shirt. So, I hope Google just spanks them in court and shows them how stupid this is. The idiots don't realize that they will be responsible for Google's legal fees (millions) when they lose.[/citation]
I agree to one viewpoint only with the first phrase. Just as they can do what they want, we, the users can do in respect what we want also, including jailbreaking, rooting, hacking, teaching others to hack it, etc.
They have the right to remove the Linux from PS3, and customers of PS3 have the right to put it back and modify the console they own.
Android wants to track me, I have the right to install whatever I wish and can install on it, and rely on shared knowledge on how to do it too.

On the other hand, if anyone demands I don't use my device the way I wish, they better be ready to answer to me also on what I wish the device to do, since I am king being the customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.