Google Sues U.S. Department of Interior

Status
Not open for further replies.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
They will win big. This happens when the government creates a set of requirements that intentionally eliminates a product from competition.

You get to pay twice for one set of software. :)

2real

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Thanks Google you're taking money from a cash strapped government. Now, taxes in the United States will go up. Suck it up and buy Microsoft Office. Maybe they didn't consider Google apps because they suck and don't want their government business on your servers.

Google is getting too cocky and they need someone to take them down a few notches.

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Is there no difference between filing a complaint (
Kevin said:
Friday Google filed a complaint against the U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI), claiming that the DOI didn't consider Google Apps in its recent Request for Quotation (RFQ).
) and suing?
Maybe it's just wording or maybe it's just me being picky. Maybe they filed a complaint and then sued.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Being in the acquisition business for the government, I know a little about how this works. Google simply did not meet the stated requirements for the government's needs. They can cry foul, but this is likely to go nowhere.

These sorts of claims happen all of the time and are not really a big deal. Not a matter of MS or Google liking/disliking/bashing, but a matter of meeting requirements as stated in the RFP.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]2real[/nom]Thanks Google you're taking money from a cash strapped government. Now, taxes in the United States will go up. Suck it up and buy Microsoft Office. Maybe they didn't consider Google apps because they suck and don't want their government business on your servers.[/citation]Whenever government cronies negate free-market principles then taxpayers ultimately pay more. Google isn't suing for money but rather equal opportunity in spite of corrupt officials.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]Being in the acquisition business for the government, I know a little about how this works. Google simply did not meet the stated requirements for the government's needs. They can cry foul, but this is likely to go nowhere. These sorts of claims happen all of the time and are not really a big deal. Not a matter of MS or Google liking/disliking/bashing, but a matter of meeting requirements as stated in the RFP.[/citation]I've dealt with government requirements from the vendor end. It's very common that insiders will create outlandish requirements specifically to block anyone other than their favorite vendor. This isn't just a federal government problem as I've seen it in state and local specifications also.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
2real just had to say this

there are 307000000 people in america,
add 1000 of tax extra per person for 2-3 years, or ad 500 over 4-6 years and there you wipe out the deficit. you should also cut back on those 500$ plungers, and possibly let our defensive budget slag for a bit, we are so far ahead of the curve its pathetic, i mean the only people close to us tech wise wont be going to war with us in the next 10 foreseeable years, so there, you get an extra trillion in tax a year, and you have another extra minimum 1 trillion by cutting the defense budget. there is 2 trillion that goes directly to paying off our debt

it wont make you popular, but ----- it will get ---- done in your 4 years in office,

ctbaars

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Alidan just had to say this:

I think you're using fuzzy math ...
http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/
each citizen's share of this debt is $44,228.79
The median household income in the United States is $46,326

alphadark

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
When it comes down to it I trust Microsoft with government documents over competitors.

google drove around snooping on everyones data, I wouldn't want them near government and or defense contracts either.

2real

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Whenever government cronies negate free-market principles then taxpayers ultimately pay more. Google isn't suing for money but rather equal opportunity in spite of corrupt officials.[/citation]
maybe the government didn't consider them because the free-market says office is better

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
.I fail to see how this could even be an issue since the Google suite is "not certified for classified information"..

You got to be kidding? Unless they've completely ignored that area (which I doubt) this is just the sort of "made up requirement" people are talking about. If they don't have cert, then do a review and let them get it. I'm sure if every other company had to pay to do it Google would be happy to do the same.

2real

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]2real just had to say thisthere are 307000000 people in america, add 1000 of tax extra per person for 2-3 years, or ad 500 over 4-6 years and there you wipe out the deficit. you should also cut back on those 500$ plungers, and possibly let our defensive budget slag for a bit, we are so far ahead of the curve its pathetic, i mean the only people close to us tech wise wont be going to war with us in the next 10 foreseeable years, so there, you get an extra trillion in tax a year, and you have another extra minimum 1 trillion by cutting the defense budget. there is 2 trillion that goes directly to paying off our debtit wont make you popular, but ----- it will get ---- done in your 4 years in office,[/citation]
why should i have to pay 1,000 more in taxes?i barely have enough to make it by

2real

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]alphadark[/nom]When it comes down to it I trust Microsoft with government documents over competitors. google drove around snooping on everyones data, I wouldn't want them near government and or defense contracts either.[/citation]
exactly and top that off with google's bully tactics and i want them no where near government stuff

dillyflump

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
So let me get my thinking straight here. No company these days actually makes any monies from products or services? They just pass the cash around in the global economy by sueing one another and moaning about patent infringements ect.... Way to go guys, the worlds turned into a giant playground with bullies pinching each others lunch money.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
[citation][nom]ctbaars[/nom]Alidan just had to say this:I think you're using fuzzy math ...http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/each citizen's share of this debt is $44,228.79The median household income in the United States is $46,326[/citation]
There is nothing "fuzzy" about being plain wrong.

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
In my understanding the government said "hey we want a web oriented apps solution, but it HAS to be Microsoft-based", which is wrong in my opinion. They should at least have considered other solutions instead of arbitrarily chosing Microsoft. If they had done that and said "we studied all our options and came to the conclusion that Microsoft will better suit our needs" this wouldn't have been an issue.

Scotteq

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
ctbarrs - Good point, but you need to consider that every Citizen isn't necessarily a Taxpayer. If you do, then the number you quoted climbs to $124,059. After all, the kids don't pay taxes.

Oh - I like this clock better: http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.