Google Testing Voice Search with Limited Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

superlinkx

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
This is a feature introduced in Chrome some time ago. Its an experimental HTML5 feature called voice input fields. Chrome 11 was the first stable version to have this feature.

There's an awesome extension for Chrome called Voice Search and it not only puts a button in chrome to quickly search, but also allows you to replace search fields on any site (including Google) with the voice input field. Works great.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
But is voice search really necessary on the desktop? For those who can speak faster than they can type, the new feature could be entirely helpful.
I'll bet you a million bucks I can speak faster than ANYONE you know can type. Also, think of disabled people before saying this is useless... some people simply CAN'T type...

superhighperf

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
i recently tried using Dragon voice. it is amazing, you can navigate windows, web, applications.... you need a good mike and a quiet room but with a bit of effort you can get pretty good. you can actually say "click on ...link" and it will find it and click on it. it needs to have the button text to recognize it so some java? buttons don't work

the thing i am interested in is that it can learn how you speak. it will follow you as you read predefined text and learn how you talk. i look forward to using it more and i got interested in the whole voice thing when i got the google app for my iphone :)

if they can figure out how to get the text out of all the buttons on a web page it will be the end to the mouse and keyboard as we know it. you guys should try it. it's a good excuse for having a 3.0ghz quad+ core computer ;)

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Until this announcement I guess I didn't realize they didn't have this or that it was really needed. On WP7 it does audio recognition offloaded to TellMe servers. Results are intelligently conextual: contact search, web search, local area search etc.. I haven't looked but I would guess Droid has the same (maybe not as slick contextually)?

On Windows just hit start and type voice.. Works with Bing, Google, IE, FF etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.