Google to Delete Private Google Profiles July 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]nisdec[/nom]Ahh "just" my full name. Got it. Bye Google profile.[/citation]
my goodness your are so very paranoid...nothing is going to happen... anyone can get your full name and do whatever they want with it....it's very easy

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]my goodness your are so very paranoid...nothing is going to happen... anyone can get your full name and do whatever they want with it....it's very easy[/citation]

not as easy as 1 2 +(your name)

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
at this point in time if your full name isnt somewhere on the internet, you basically just dont exist.

i dont see much of a problem. and what is google profile?

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
They're not saying the profile is otherwise private besides your name and gender, the article seems to be saying that's the minimum information that you can have in your profile, and all of that information is displayed publically. If you add any more information that is also public.

I'm frankly shocked by this. Facebook obviously has it right, I don't see why everyone in the world should be able to view my pictures or look at my profile. I have it private, because I only want family/friends snooping around my pictures and information. Why would anyone do otherwise??

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]murdoc[/nom]not as easy as 1 2 +(your name)[/citation]

Phonebooks. They are publicly available.
All your complaining is the same bullshit that comes from the people who dislike Google Streetview.

G

[citation][nom]torque79[/nom]They're not saying the profile is otherwise private besides your name and gender, the article seems to be saying that's the minimum information that you can have in your profile, and all of that information is displayed publically. If you add any more information that is also public. I'm frankly shocked by this. Facebook obviously has it right, I don't see why everyone in the world should be able to view my pictures or look at my profile. I have it private, because I only want family/friends snooping around my pictures and information. Why would anyone do otherwise??[/citation]

They cant snoop. Unless you add them into your social circle where you are sharing the photos from. This is different from facebook. Information is also only viewable by the social circle that you put them in. If they add you, but you do not add them, they still cant see your information. So whats the problem

Sabiancym

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
You guys do know that all your information has been readily available to anyone for anyone to stumble upon for many years right? Even before the internet, if someone wanted to mess with you, they could. It might have actually have been easier back then due to less overall monitoring and security.

Your security lies with the fact that you're a nobody. You're not important. Stop thinking that there are groups of masterminds just waiting for the chance to steal your Ford Focus lease and sub 700 credit score.

G

Some people are so hilariously paranoid it's just fantastic to read ^_^

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]informama[/nom]Thank you for sharing this technology!!!!![/citation]
What's up with this guy? Is it some kind of cheerful bot always thanking the articles with generic positive comments? He comments on every article recently.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
[citation][nom]nisdec[/nom]Ahh "just" my full name. Got it. Bye Google profile.[/citation]
My thoughts exactly. I really don't see the point in this. Some of the other posters before me are saying that we are paranoid but that is not entirely true.

Google claims that

"Today, nearly all Google Profiles are public. We believe that using Google Profiles to help people find and connect with you online is how the product is best used. Private profiles don’t allow this, so we have decided to require all profiles to be public."

but there are some people who I would not want looking at my profile at all. Yeah I can add that person and then block them from seeing certain things but sometimes I'd rather not even do that. I'd rather not even have any association with that person and instead of denying them access to be in my circle, I'd rather them not even know my profile exists. It's exactly why I don't use my real name on my Facebook profile.

Still though while I am not paranoid as other posters may claim I really don't see the point in making my profile public. Sure their are other ways other obtaining my information but really what good will come from making this information public? Give me one single good reason? For that reason alone I wouldn't want my info public.

thaile4ever

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]What's up with this guy? Is it some kind of cheerful bot always thanking the articles with generic positive comments? He comments on every article recently.[/citation]

I'm guessing he's one of those people who randomly click links and comment without realizing that he is not on TOM Hardware site anymore.

theoldgrumpybear

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
There is a difference between "Anyone who wants to mess with you have always been able to dig up information about you" and "All information is now automatically given to everyone".
It is a little like saying "Anyone can get into your house if they want to so dont bother get a lock on your door".
Weather you like it or not, this WILL increase identety theft just as taking away all locks on doors would increase burglary.
Personally I don't care I follow the motto... "Adapt or go extinct"

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]theoldgrumpybear[/nom]There is a difference between ... Adapt or go extinct"[/citation]
Word of advice... due diligence. :p

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
"Today, nearly all Google Profiles are public. We believe that using Google Profiles to help telemarketers/spammers find and connect with you online is how the product is best used. Private profiles don’t allow this, so we have decided to require all profiles to be public.
i changed one word so this is more understandable from a business stand point of googles.

adriangb

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
This sucks. And yes, googling my name currently doesn't pop up any results, and I'm not in any phonebook since -as you should know- you can easily call your landline service provider and get them to not list you.
In the third world -where I live- being "listed" exponentially increases your chances of getting kidnapped (even if your an adult) or at least blackmailed. I got blackmailed once by a guy who was in prison. All he had was an old phonebook (in which I was listed). Because of the address, he figured out that I belong to a mid income class, and that I probably had a phone, a PC, some money, etc. He then called me pretending he was a policeman at first, and said that he had kidnapped my brother -who by chance was in class, and didn't answer his phone- and asked for $1000, my computer and my phone as a ransom. Luckily I was able to have the call traced and I got a hold of my brother, but I almost lost thousands to a guy who just had my address, my name and my number and was smart enough to know what to do with that info.

I hope this gives a good idea of why we should ALWAYS have the option to be "secret".
If google doesn't realize this, I'm going to have to switch to some other email provider.

Status
Not open for further replies.