Google Users Complain Over Nifty ''Ballsy'' Logo

Status
Not open for further replies.

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
"However a Google spokesperson clarified, saying that it's "fast, fun and interactive, just the way we think search should be" without specifying further details. "
So this animation makes the search faster somehow?

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Interesting how it is. I use Google as my home page. Having a different logo every once in a while is interesting. I quickly discovered the behavior of the balls was influenced by my mouse. Since I navigate away from the page rather quickly, I enjoyed the moving colored balls. What is wrong with people, that the don't have a sense of humor?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
One of Google's best yet! No other company has the "balls" (pun intended) to play around with their logo like Google does. Like them or hate them, but they deserve a tip of the hat for their innovation and sense of humor. Go Google!!!

dbowlin17

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
30-40% cpu usage with that site on a core 2 duo??? thats insanity. my pentium M (1.73 ghz with 1 gb ram) had no issue with the site, and i also was running mediamonkey and 5 or 6 other tabs in google chrome... its fun and entertaining the new logo

slapdashzero

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I thought that usage was silly too, but I can confirm, I tested it, and it put my old work P4 at over 60% in IE8. Though its got the crappy onboard video. Not that I mind, as others said, I'm there for all of 10 seconds usually.

G

Hint to users complaining about this: STOP USING IE. Of course there are consequences when you're using a browser whose JS handling is literally 10x slower than everybody else.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
If I bang "www.google.com" into Firefox it indeed starts the ball logo animation right away. Those of you saying that it's IEs fault, Firefox shows high CPU usage too. Those that say it's not on by default, this is the defaultest browser and it starts as soon as the page is loaded, no input required.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]My logo is still exactly the same. No balls at all.[/citation]
Same here, I'm thinking my employer might have blocked it or something.

Still, who just has their browser sit on the blank google home page for no reason whatsoever? Heck, all modern browsers will direct anything you type in to the address bar (that isn't an address) to the search engine of your choice, so who actually goes to google's home page to initiate a search? That's the main reason I never see any of these Google logo's until someone writes an article about them, cause I never type "http://google.com" into my address bar.

This is a total non issue people, get over it.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I tested it on my Core2 Duos the CPU usage spikes to about 24% while playing with but then drops back to 0-1% when the balls all come back to the center. That happens in IE8 and Chrome. Firefox took it to 30% max before dropping to 0-1% again.

I think it's actually a pretty nice example of what can be done without Flash these days. It's also not at all difficult to deal with the CPU usage for the maybe 5 seconds you might have to deal with it before moving away from the page. But then again it might be hard to deal with wanting to play around with it for several minutes. :p

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
As far as I'm concerned, the new logo is unprofessional. It honestly makes me feel like I'm at some spoof site and not really at the legit Google website. Not to mention, I just find it annoying.

The logo distorts even if I simply move the cursor into the text box. I don't even have to touch the logo for it to flip out. Ultimately, what this means for Google is that the 10 seconds the person spends at the Google main page, their logo is present for perhaps 1 of those 10 seconds.

Bad for brand recognition.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]azcoyote[/nom]No spike.You have to click on it to start it.Lasts until you submit the search.Freaking whiners... Geez.[/citation]

I did not have to click on it. It was active as soon as the page loaded.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Spikes 2-4% on my laptop... and is clever and gets your attention. I'd say it's a win for Google. No matter what a company does, there's someone out there who's going to complain about it.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Using a Dell business computer, loaded with a Core 2 Duo E6550 I had a max of 39% CPU usage playing with the new Google logo. Average was about 33% just watching it with Windows XP Task Manager.

This was with Outlook, a point of sale program, and a database program open in the background behind Firefox. Not taxing on this machine. However, for folks with older machines that have not been formatted, de-fragged, virus scanned, etc for years.... this could be crippling.

Status
Not open for further replies.