Google Wants Faster Web With Page Speed Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

technoshroom

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
Tried it on my site. Added almost half a second to the total page load time while more than tripling the start render time. Even doubled the repeat view start render time.

Seems like this service is more for those using junky CMS's than people who have coded their site themselves.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Ummm... no. I don't think I will pay any amount of money to have a 5% decrease in loading times. Not worth it, IMO.[/citation]Performance depends on the page content. People stuck with dial-up will take any improvement they can get.

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
awesome!!

It's in no way awesome! In the test Internet explorer 8 loaded the page in about 20 seconds, and my firefox 5.0.1 with "noscript" and "adblock plus" loads it in about 3 seconds with a 20Mb internet connection. ^^

G

If you need caching to speed up your site, use nginx. It is opensource and awesome. And letting Google to relay all your traffic (including passwords, session cookies, etc) is just plain stupid. Even HTTPS cannot save you becaue users will establish connections with Google's servers, not yours.

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
If you want to speed your page up by 90%:
1) Use nothing but HTML and CSS (ie no javascript, flash) - (99% of sites, and 90% of sites that claim they need it, don't need scripts).
2) Don't use uncompressed images.
3) Use compressed text.

You will also get the benefit of working on nearly every single browser perfectly, even those who use piles of addons like script blockers.

Note - the above can (occasionally) take more effort these days and is often hard to get your boss to agree since they're often impressed when people throw words like Ajax, Rails etc that they have almost zero understanding of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS