Google Wants its Money: Sues IRS Over $83.5M Tax Refund

Status
Not open for further replies.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
"the IRS would definitely be knocking on Google's door if it were the other way around."

No they wouldn't. That was back in 2004. Unless the IRS knocked on Google's door within 7 years, the IRS can't audit anyone or any company past that. Google may not have a case, cause they waited too long, but that is for the judge to decide.

I personally hope Google sticks it to them.

crABtoad

Honorable
May 12, 2012
I feel like this is a bribe related to the PRISM project. They can get legal money for not saying anything by "suing" the US Government. Maybe this is a paranoid thought, but I don't think it sounds really far-fetched either. They were just in front of senate and didn't indicate they were due anything more than what they had paid. In fact, they advocated for changing tax laws if the US wanted *them* to pay more.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
With the IRS scandel and and its role in Obamacare, becoming a tax lawyer is the next big thing after becoming a patent lawyer. I wish I wasn't so lazy to study or I might try that path.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
@asukafan2001
No, it is no Jossrik or anyone else paying it. It was Google's money to begin with, if the court rules in their favor. If you owe10k a year in taxes and had 12k in withholdings, do you think that other people are paying your 2k refund? If you do, you don't understand the system.

@itchyisvegeta
That depends on how long Google has been working to get the refund. Usually a lawsuit is the last step, not the first. For all we know, they have been working since the beginning to get the refund.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
What an amazing display of not understanding the tax system..... Even got a conspiracy theory in there. When is the voting system going to start working again so we can vote down this incompetence?

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I don't believe there is a statute of limitations for the IRS (which I think is a silly thing). I believe they can get you at any point in time for back taxes.

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Tax system is broken and Google is a thief.

Folks love free Google stuff to them it's like crack, but in reality those who are the 'clients,' you're the product,' we are robbed by Google so you in turn you have your free stuff, but in reality we charge the costs back to you -- so it's not free. Large companies donate (bribe) our legislatures to twist the tax laws in their favor and then bitch about it when the laws aren't fully in their fringe favors.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
@funguseater
No, they do not keep all their funds offshore. They keep what money they make outside of the US offshore from the US so they don't pay double taxes, where they made the money and in the US. By the way, that is perfectly legal. They also pay taxes on that money to the places they make that money according to the tax laws of where the money was made.

People tend to forget the US exists because we fought a war against unfair taxation. todays US government is worse than what the British were when the founders had the revolution.

It's a sad day when we complain that people are only paying what they are supposed to pay legally and get angry when they go after refunds due them. Reminds me of the stupid show a few weeks ago when Apple was brought before congress to answer why they only paid the taxes they are legally obligated to pay and didn't pay more. The stupidity we are getting to is truly mind boggling.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
@icemunk
Yes, because a vindictive IRS that goes after people who try to resolve IRS mistakes is really what people want, and what people want the IRS to waste our money on.

Philip Stubbs

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
so let me get this straight... If I buy stock for 25k, but later realize that I over paid, I can deduct the difference, add stock brokerage & accounting expenses, and use the total as a deduction from taxable income?...

The IRS is right to reject this claim. Had Google turned around and sold the stock, and reported the net loss, the IRS would not have rejected the claim.

You simply can not use "over spending" as a means to lower your taxable income.

Status
Not open for further replies.