Google Will Gladly Help Fight Piracy... for a Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Excuse me Miss, but I think that these [pirate] sites offer movies because they wouldn't be much of a pirate site without material on them, rather than to draw traffic to them? :)

Also this effort by Google would really only stop the average-joe pirate who torrents on occasion. It would not stop dedicated users who have multiple private sites from which they get their torrents. No one needs Google to find something on a private site, unless it's something uncommon that you have to look everywhere for.

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
The RIAA really needs to stop complaining to other companies about piracy, It's their issue! Google isn't doing anything wrong. They are following the law, they are even losing money paying people to look over the removal of links. The RIAA really needs to admit that their business model is completely ineffective, and that piracy is a direct result from that, but oh no, they can't do that, they are too self centered to realize that they are losing money because of their own stupidity.

G

Google shoudnt remove links. They are not responsable for the content of the webpages, they just provide a search service and its quality is compromised by removing results.
That said, its clear what I think of searching links. They should charge thousands per link because every time they remove one, they are affecting their own business

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
group of no good evil thieves vs the the white knight of the internet. who will win? the ever elusive, dynamic, and adaptive pirates, or the team of intelligent, creative, software programmers with numerous resources.
who knows? it could start with filtering sites, they could find a way to stop them once and for all if they put their mind to it.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Or better yet, lower the prices on games, software, CDs and movies and I will, without hesitation, ask "my friend" to stop torrenting everything. $60 for a game? $30 for a movie? Come on... we're broke out here, lower the prices and people will start buying again and then voila the cycle is broken.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
**** this crap, the last two games i bought without "trying" first were garbage. As a matter of fact, just about any game i didn't "demo" for myself from one of these sites ended up being garbage, rushed and or crammed with unfinished/ untested glitches. I'm done buying them legitimately before trying them. Don't get me wrong, i don't like piracy - i don't like to have to do such a thing to feel like my purchase would be worth it. But thats the only real way to get a feel for a games completion, satisfaction and worthiness of my time to warrant 60 bucks (which is another problem i have - now instead of feeling ripped off for spending 50 bucks on a broken game, its now 60).

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
My bad for using foul language, i meant to go back and write but i forgot to; i simply have strong feelings about this stuff. If devs would stop pulling development before a product is finished, they might have some really great, polished material people would actually want to buy, or even pre-order without feeling justified in pirating first.

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]terror112[/nom]The RIAA really needs to stop complaining to other companies about piracy, It's their issue! Google isn't doing anything wrong. They are following the law, they are even losing money paying people to look over the removal of links. The RIAA really needs to admit that their business model is completely ineffective, and that piracy is a direct result from that, but oh no, they can't do that, they are too self centered to realize that they are losing money because of their own stupidity.[/citation]

I would hope someone at the RIAA would listen to comments like this, see how so many people agree with a comment like this, and realize that there is at least SOME truth to it and then find a way to do something about it.

Instead, the RIAA keeps doing what they've always been doing and wasting $$ by just throwing it at what they think is the magic solution. Stop trying to regulate millions of people and change what you can actually change........

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation]Independent filmmaker Ellen Seidler--who lost money on her film because it was distributed illegally online--said that Google fences stolen goods.[/citation]

Who is this person??

G

Maybe the lady that directed this movie isn't making any money because the movie isn't any good? You think?

Status
Not open for further replies.