Google's Answer to Siri Codenamed 'Majel' After Star Trek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Why should it matter? All Android fans trashed Siri and voice-recognition the day it was announced.

Now all of a sudden it's "cool" because Android is copying it?

Riiiiiiiiight

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
I think a lot of people trashed Siri because it was the 'new feature' of the iphone but in reality just a gimmicky feature... not to mention it was sold as if you should treat it like your new little pal in your phone. Android can do and has been able to do most of what Siri does, minus the personification of the phone.

js1882

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]Why should it matter? All Android fans trashed Siri and voice-recognition the day it was announced.Now all of a sudden it's "cool" because Android is copying it?Riiiiiiiiight[/citation]

Android has been able to do what Siri does for years now. I just hate whenever apple does something it is "revolutionary" and everyone goes on about it.

Also apple didn't invent siri, they just bought a company that was already making the software
and now people give apple all the credit:

http://scobleizer.com/2010/04/28/breaking-news-siri-bought-by-apple/

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]Why should it matter? All Android fans trashed Siri and voice-recognition the day it was announced.Now all of a sudden it's "cool" because Android is copying it?Riiiiiiiiight[/citation]

I had to thumbs-up you to account for all the droids thumbing you down; they're not big on reality.

And you're wrong. They didn't say it wasn't cool, they said that Android already HAD that feature. Which makes one wonder if Android already HAD that feature what the heck is Google talking about?

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
What separates Siri from Adroid's VR software is personality and casual commands, as opposed to commands like : "Play Artist ____."; which also requires a perfectly clear and fluidly English speaking voice.

To say Android has had that for years is ridiculous. They haven't. They never even considered it until they saw how well the 4S was selling with Siri on it.

As for who invented it - who cares? If Google wanted it, they could have bought the rights to it too. But as usual, Google always shows up late for the dance and has to bring the "watered down" version along to make it look competitive.

js1882

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]As for who invented it - who cares? If Google wanted it, they could have bought the rights to it too. But as usual, Google always shows up late for the dance and has to bring the "watered down" version along to make it look competitive.[/citation]

Of course it matters who invented it because people are giving APPLE the credit and making it seem like they revolutionized everything. That is like Microsoft getting credit for inventing/revolutionizing VOIP because they just bought Skype

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]Why should it matter? All Android fans trashed Siri and voice-recognition the day it was announced.Now all of a sudden it's "cool" because Android is copying it?Riiiiiiiiight[/citation]It was said earlier, but Apple did treat Siri as one of the "revolutionary" ways of interfacing with your phone. Even after we proved that Siri was not hardware dependent, they basically confirmed for us that Siri was just a ploy to get people to upgrade to the 4S.

Can I whip out my phone and say "navigate to" or "call xxxx"? Yes. Have I been able to do it for over a year? Yup. Is it fluid and easy to use? Not even close.

Most droids out there dislike Siri because of the way it was implemented. If Apple had pushed it out to all iPhones, there would have been less hate, I guarantee that. Instead, it was used as a gimmick to sell the 4S.

Also, if Google wants to sell this, they either need to piece together enough of Majel Barrett-Roddenberry's voice to make it work, or hire a convincing substitute. Either way, if they don't, XDA will. ;)

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]I had to thumbs-up you to account for all the droids thumbing you down; they're not big on reality. And you're wrong. They didn't say it wasn't cool, they said that Android already HAD that feature. Which makes one wonder if Android already HAD that feature what the heck is Google talking about?[/citation]

They are 'personificating' the whole experience. Read the article.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]I had to thumbs-up you to account for all the droids thumbing you down; they're not big on reality. And you're wrong. They didn't say it wasn't cool, they said that Android already HAD that feature. Which makes one wonder if Android already HAD that feature what the heck is Google talking about?[/citation]

And I thumbed you up because the I-have-my-head-up-my-you-know-where droid heads are the on their usual small minded envy enraged mission. You are very correct, if Android already had this what is this now?!?! Never mind though, block heads in the droid camp will NEVER recognize thier simple minded ways.

willwayne

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]What separates Siri from Adroid's VR software is personality and casual commands, as opposed to commands like : "Play Artist ____."; which also requires a perfectly clear and fluidly English speaking voice.[/citation]

I mumble, and Vlingo seems to perform speech-to-text very well for me. I guess being a software developer desensitizes me to the requirement of formulating my commands like a command.

[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]They never even considered it until they saw how well the 4S was selling with Siri on it.[/citation]

Apple heavily marketing and selling a Beta product to the masses, misrepresented as a working, finished product just oozes with "rushed to market". Is Apple hurting for money or something?

willwayne

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]js1882[/nom]Of course it matters who invented it because people are giving APPLE the credit and making it seem like they revolutionized everything. That is like Microsoft getting credit for inventing/revolutionizing VOIP because they just bought Skype[/citation]

It's like crediting Tim Tebow for all the success Denver's having without recognizing the excellent play of their defense.

jojesa

Distinguished
Why are people making a big deal about something that has been available since Windows 95?
Before Siri came out I was already using voice recognition on my Android phone. It was also available on Apple App Store from Nuance.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Majel sounds exactly like Siri.

Execept:
"Android and Me says that Majel will be limited to search actions when it is first released", lamer.

applefairyboy

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
I like Siri, it's just better. All I have to do is talk the way that I talk and it understands what I mean. With Siri, my wish is its command.

Status
Not open for further replies.