Google's Music Service Unofficially Up & Running

Status
Not open for further replies.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Notch another one for Android. My Nexus One is the first phone I have ever got that has run faster than when I first bought it a year ago. The new 2.3.3 update simply takes my breath away. It's like getting a new phone. Can't wait to get my hands on the Xoom and Honeycomb!

G

@octacon72

The streaming isn't necessary. Think of it this way. The golden copy is in "the cloud" (Google's servers). The cached copy is on your device. It would only need to "stream" the songs you don't have on your device. Then, it can keep them there for future playback.

Let's say your device has 16 GB of storage. You could store 50 GB of music in "the cloud", keep 2 GB of your most often listened to music on your device (no streaming would be necessary), and you'd still have 14 GB to spare for apps and other things. Want to listen to a song that's not in the 2 GB of music on your device? No problem. You'll still see the song as if it is there (via the cloud)... play it... it streams... then is stored on your device. The next time you play it, it won't need to stream. If your device gets dropped and run over by a bus, you just buy a new one, login to your account, and you're back in business... all of your apps, music, etc... are fully restored.

To assume that this is all about storing information in the cloud, then streaming every time you want to access the information really misses the flexibility of technology.

G

@octacon72

The streaming isn't necessary. Think of it this way. The golden copy is in "the cloud" (Google's servers). The cached copy is on your device. It would only need to "stream" the songs you don't have on your device. Then, it can keep them there for future playback.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
I'm with Octacon. A high quality mp3 is 10mB. If you have a 2GB plan, that's 200 songs. That's not really that much. And that's also assuming you never use the data for anything.

As far as using 2gb and storing the rest on cloud, it really comes down to practicality. I'd say it's fair to assume most people with that much music have that much because they love variety, and because they listen all the time. So you'll be replacing the music on the thing every week - annoying and time consuming. So you're paying $30 for the data and have to spend all the time to mess with it.

Or you could pay an extra $200 for the model that has enough space and probably save that and more getting the smaller data plan.

killbits

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
How is this different from Orb? Or any similar service? I can use the Orb app on my iPhone to stream any song from my home computer. What's the advantage of Google's service? Other than I don't have to have my home PC turned on when i'm out?

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Other than I don't have to have my home PC turned on when i'm out?
Surely that's quite a major advantage (unless you live in some area where either the computer being on is useful as heating and/or electricity is freely available)?
The data usage level seems to be more the problem, as everyone else has flagged up.

G

I'm already streaming with SugarSync, mostly because Google didn't have this capability yet.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]umopapisdn[/nom]@octacon72The streaming isn't necessary. Think of it this way. The golden copy is in "the cloud" (Google's servers). The cached copy is on your device. It would only need to "stream" the songs you don't have on your device. Then, it can keep them there for future playback.[/citation]
it's a nice idea but while you are streaming that one song i can pop in a 32gb sdcard full of them before you're even half way done streaming that one song, not to mention i do not have to pay any penalty for going over my bandwidth cap. and when you're in an area with little or no service all day the only thing in the cloud is that tall ominous dark thunderhead looming over your purplish red face.
my cloud is my pc where no one can change or delete my content due to some damn artists/record label feels their rights are vilated because the music/movie has been modified to my liking.
remember where there are clouds, lightning can strike as often as it wants.

G

Who is going to pay all of bandwidth needed for the cloud? How is the cloud going to clog up the tubes?

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
The locker/streaming idea is quite cool as it frees precious storage, but I fear our technology is outstripping bandwidth allotted by carriers...

Status
Not open for further replies.