Google's Next Pure Android is Officially Nexus S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Samsung's Galaxy S was pretty neat. not great, a bit plasticky, but good. This is in no way a step forward in terms of "problems" the Galaxy S had/has. Slap on new software and a 550 buck price... I'm not impressed. Google and Samsung rushing something out for the xmas shopping frenzy.

sinsear

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Pass. Where's Orion or Tegra 2 or dual core Snapdragon? Where's HSPA+? Where's the 1gb of RAM? Let's begin the dual core CPUs on phones already...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I don't know, I think these Nexus phones should come with a Keyboard variant. Have you tried tapping or Swyping a text message on a touch-screen only phone driving 75mph down the highway? It's really tough.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]I don't know, I think these Nexus phones should come with a Keyboard variant. Have you tried tapping or Swyping a text message on a touch-screen only phone driving 75mph down the highway? It's really tough.[/citation]
Thats what the voice to text is great for.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]I don't know, I think these Nexus phones should come with a Keyboard variant. Have you tried tapping or Swyping a text message on a touch-screen only phone driving 75mph down the highway? It's really tough.[/citation]
Have you considered that you should not be texting whilst driving? especially not on a highway?

Anyways this phone is nice and all, but what really makes me happy is that the hardware on this phone is almost identical to that of the Galaxy S, meaning that in no time (hopefully) we will be seeing ports to the Galaxy S. :D :D :D

goldenthunder

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
What's weird is the power consumption (given the values are right):
http://www.google.com/phone/compare/?phone=nexus-s&phone=samsung-galaxy-s

The Nexus S has the same battery as the Galaxy S, but has 6h talk time instead of 13h and 428h stand-by instead of 750h.

New features:
- flash: I guess comes with Gingerbread, so Galaxy S might have it in future
- Near Field Communications (NFC): neat but can live without it
- Three-axis gyroscope: I thought the Galaxy S had g-sensors..what's the difference?
- Anti-fingerprint display coating: nothing a cheap display foil cover wouldn't do

In total I would say I am looking forward to this phone since the prices for the Galaxy S will drop and I can finally get it :).

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]goldenthunder[/nom]What's weird is the power consumption (given the values are right):http://www.google.com/phone/compar [...] g-galaxy-sThe Nexus S has the same battery as the Galaxy S, but has 6h talk time instead of 13h and 428h stand-by instead of 750h.New features: - flash: I guess comes with Gingerbread, so Galaxy S might have it in future- Near Field Communications (NFC): neat but can live without it- Three-axis gyroscope: I thought the Galaxy S had g-sensors..what's the difference?- Anti-fingerprint display coating: nothing a cheap display foil cover wouldn't doIn total I would say I am looking forward to this phone since the prices for the Galaxy S will drop and I can finally get it .[/citation]

Not weird... just more accurate. Battery life on the galaxy s is deplorable and nowhere near 13h/750h...

hamthony

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I just bought a galaxy s vibrant, love it (really an awesome phone), good news is I have until the 5th next month to return it to best buy and switch it out for nexus s, its the vibrant delux package. Cant beat a 4 in amoled

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]hamthony[/nom]I just bought a galaxy s vibrant, love it (really an awesome phone), good news is I have until the 5th next month to return it to best buy and switch it out for nexus s, its the vibrant delux package. Cant beat a 4 in amoled[/citation]So true!
The Super-Amoled screen is truly epic! Puts iPhone 4 or any other mobile phone to shame!

Personally I actually prefer the way that the Galaxy S i9000 looks, so im just gonna wait for the custom roms (ports) to come out, since these two phones are nearly identical with only a few small differences.

jojesa

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Restatement3dofTed[/nom]Really wish this was available subsidized through carriers other than T-Mobile. I'd love to give it a try, but the unsubsidized price is pretty brutal.[/citation]

If you consider the price you will pay T-Mobile during the two-year contract ($840 data plan without taxes and fees) you are better buying the unlock phone for $600.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Wow really sexy phone. But too late, I already got my Galaxy S couple months ago. I am looking forward to Samsung's dual core next year.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
...sound like another Darwin award coming up!

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Looks like my samsung vibrant but with a front facing camera. I hope that they will release 2.3 for my phone. And yes, the battery life is deplorable. Yes, the battery life of the samsung galaxy phones are deplorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.