Google's Schmidt: Google+ Unfairly Compared to Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Facebook is spyonyoutown. At least G+ is more respectful of users privacy for now.[/citation]

That's because there is not enough users for profitable data-mining.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Google's secret dealings with the NSA/FEDS just like Microsoft and probably Apple too. Don't trust any of these companies if you want to have anything that they cannot see. Long live Linux.

skyline100

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Facebook is spyonyoutown. At least G+ is more respectful of users privacy for now.[/citation]

I believe both the social website is spying on you, just in different ways.

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Google's secret dealings with the NSA/FEDS just like Microsoft and probably Apple too. Don't trust any of these companies if you want to have anything that they cannot see. Long live Linux.[/citation]

What does Linux have to do with how your interact with social sites on the net? Or even do Search Queries?

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]supall[/nom]What does Linux have to do with how your interact with social sites on the net? Or even do Search Queries?[/citation]I think john_4 was making an anti-cloud statement.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]I think john_4 was making an anti-cloud statement.[/citation]
Or even anti-internet statement. Because, let's face it, if you surf the web, you're bound to stumble upon and be exposed to one of the "evil" companies.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I think Eric is right when saying it's unfair to compare Google+ to the behemot that is Facebook. However, I'm not so sure that will ever be able to compete with it. The problem is not in the offering, I think Google+ has strong features and integration to numerous tools. But in this domain, the user base is all it counts.

I think the ace in the pocket of Google will be to be able to import a complete Facebook profile in Google+ : pictures, videos, contacts, posts, history, etc. Maybe then would people be willing to do the switch, providing contacts of them would do the same too.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]supall[/nom]What does Linux have to do with how your interact with social sites on the net? Or even do Search Queries?[/citation]
Linux does not have built in back doors to your OS.

G

I use Google products independent of what others do: Gmail is useful even if my friends are not on it. Same with search, Docs, Chrome, Android, etc. If G+ ties them together somehow, even better. Yet the ONLY reason to use FB is because everyone is on it, if they're gone, no value. Maybe that won't change, but I'd be a little nervous if I was a FB exec knowing my only value was simply being the most popular at the moment.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
if you want to take the crown, you have to be compared to the current top dog. If you can't measure up to the champ, then you can't take his crown.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]if you want to take the crown, you have to be compared to the current top dog. If you can't measure up to the champ, then you can't take his crown.[/citation]

They aren't after the crown at this time. You don't compare the prince to the king to say that the king is better.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Hmmm two different things... Quality and popularity.
G+ has is good points, but FB is much more popular, because it is more popular. It does not help out talkin FB advantage.
There are many examples where inferior product has won the competition in AV and computer technology, so it does not help to make just better product. There has to be something more, or the product has to be much, much better and G+ is not there yeat.
People use face book to look for old friends and to interact with their friends. It does not need very super duper system to do it. Only that all people you need to achieve are there and FB-is allmost in there in that matter. Very much like WOW vs other online rpgs. Nearly indentical product is not enough, and too different don't even get a chance.

frankbough

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]atdhe[/nom]Why 12 years for Facebook? It launched in 2004.[/citation]

I like the way only one person has noticed this so far...

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]frankbough[/nom]I like the way only one person has noticed this so far...[/citation]

It launched publicly back then, but it was around for 12 years. You should read up on the history of Facebook if you want more information.

frankbough

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]It launched publicly back then, but it was around for 12 years. You should read up on the history of Facebook if you want more information.[/citation]

Zuckerberg began to write Facebook in January 2004. He didn't even go to Harvard until September 2002.

Which website are you talking about, then?

Status
Not open for further replies.