Goolge Chrome Gets a Touch Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
They should hire me to edit their documents and correct any mistakes.
Hurr durr.

Now on topic, It would be awesome if touch screens we're cheaper.

G

"Now on topic, It would be awesome if touch screens we're cheaper."

If they hired you to edit their documents they'd make mistakes in punctuation instead of spelling.

natmaster

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
What has happened to tomshardware? Seems like all the articles these days have horrible typos, unparsable sentences, and incorrect information. I've been reading toms for almost ten years and it used to be my favorite source of hardware information.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Hellbound[/nom]Almost every article of late has an obvious mistake. I'm starting to think they are doing this on purpose.[/citation]

Yah, LOL. Combine all the mistakes and it spells out the phrase: "Send help!"

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]_Cubase_[/nom]Yah, LOL. Combine all the mistakes and it spells out the phrase: "Send help!"[/citation]

You have to take the good with the bad. They produce a new article every week day, and sometimes with extra volume, comes mistakes. Admittedly, this is a pretty embarrassing one.

The question is, would you rather get fewer articles, or have to put up with the admittedly difficult to understand (in that it could be made, and then pass the editor as well) misspelling like "goolge". Probably, most people would take the mistakes because, while disturbing, they don't really change much in real terms, or render the information completely useless.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I can imagine the article writers spotting a few typos, then thinking "should I correct that?"

Then further thinking, "nah, bunch of assholes only complain endlessly anyway instead of actually debating the content, so why should I bother?"

nullifi

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]You have to take the good with the bad. They produce a new article every week day, and sometimes with extra volume, comes mistakes. Admittedly, this is a pretty embarrassing one.The question is, would you rather get fewer articles, or have to put up with the admittedly difficult to understand (in that it could be made, and then pass the editor as well) misspelling like "goolge". Probably, most people would take the mistakes because, while disturbing, they don't really change much in real terms, or render the information completely useless.[/citation]

I would gladly take a few high quality articles a week, instead of endless junk. I know, we need a spam filter for articles. You have a browser addon that parses articles, and if there's obvious mistakes it flags it as spam and we never have to read it. We need a spam filter for comments too, but that's another story.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]nullifi[/nom]I would gladly take a few high quality articles a week, instead of endless junk. I know, we need a spam filter for articles. You have a browser addon that parses articles, and if there's obvious mistakes it flags it as spam and we never have to read it. We need a spam filter for comments too, but that's another story.[/citation]

You think a typo like "Goolge" makes it junk? Not that I'm not suitably disgusted and surprised this could make it past the editor, but if you read your own remark, you'd realize how bizarre it is.

Again, I'm not defending the mistakes, but Goolge didn't change your understanding of the article. You understood it, and it didn't, by itself make it junk. That's my point.

The other stuff is entirely subjective. What you consider a high quality article might be entirely different from what someone else does. It's hard to appeal to everyone. If you write a formal style article (which they don't do at all here), it's going to appeal to a small group and they will love it, but it's going to be very dry because most of the readers here are very non-technical, and would not enjoy it. For better or worse, this has become a site for game players, not for computer people, and computer hardware as it relates to games is what this crowd is after. There are no doubt some old readers when Tom's was more of a computer hardware site, but that's not the current reality, and I'm not sure they'd ever want to go back to that. There are probably more readers this way, and they have to cater to this less technical group with articles that appeal to them. So, the informal, dummied-down approach, and articles of this type necessarily are what they need to produce.

To put it another way, do you think they would have more people interested in a step by step analysis of the Bobcat's integer pipeline, or Crysis 2 benchmarks? I think we know the answer to that, and it would be overwhelmingly so.

Even so, I agree this type of mistake shouldn't make it on the web page, ever, and someone isn't doing their job well. But, even with that, what is the impact? Not much, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.