GoPro or wide-angle lens for vacation?

Ajentha

Estimable
Feb 7, 2015
I'm a owner of the canon eos 650d and have a 50mm, a 18-55mm and a 55-250mm lens. This summer I'm planing on going to Sri Lanka and I saved some money for some more camera gear for the trip. First I was thinking about buying a wide-angle lens to be able to capture all the beautiful landscape as I will be spending a lot of time at beaches and in jungles. But I will also spend a lot of time under water and that's when I thought about buying a gopro. But my problem is I can only afford one thing. I mostly shoot stills which I know isn't the gopros expertise but underwater images would be awesome. But I also really want those nice jungle photos but will my 18mm have to do? My question is what you would choose between a gopro or a wide-angle lens for that kind of once in a lifetime trip? Why do you choose that and what wide-angle lens if you choose that you suggest? If you have any other suggestions for underwater cameras with great quality which might be better for stills I'm happy to know. You don't have to answer all of my questions if you can't, the only thing I need is some guiding as I think both things are equally important. Thanks in advance!

Solution
You already have an 18-55mm lens. I don't think I would buy a wide angle unless you are dissatisfied with the 18-55. But instead of a gopro, I might recommend an "adventure" point and shoot like the Olympus TG3, the Lumix TS5, or the CoolPix AW120. I have a Lumix TS4 that I bought to avoid taking my Canon 7D to the beach. Most of the adventure cameras have built in GPS and will geo-tag your photos.

kanewolf

Judicious
You already have an 18-55mm lens. I don't think I would buy a wide angle unless you are dissatisfied with the 18-55. But instead of a gopro, I might recommend an "adventure" point and shoot like the Olympus TG3, the Lumix TS5, or the CoolPix AW120. I have a Lumix TS4 that I bought to avoid taking my Canon 7D to the beach. Most of the adventure cameras have built in GPS and will geo-tag your photos.

Solution