GoPro video What computer to buy?

travelsbywater

Estimable
Feb 20, 2015
I need a computer that will edit video from my GoPro with out problems. i7 with 16 ram and dedicated graphics card. Can you make suggestions on which computers will handle it with out all the glitches?
I like Toshiba, Dell, and Acer.
Thank you for any suggestions.

Solution
So, basically: Get at least a 770 GTX, an SSD (mucho importante!) and two drives and raid them for backup purposes if you don't have.

ALso, windows is the only way. OS X is crap

RunLuke

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014
what glitches? What is your budget, that's pretty important.
For video pretty much everything, depends on how fast you want to be able to render and scrub your timelime.
What editing software do you plan to use? That's important too.
A good GPU works wonders in premiere pro. You need an ssd for your media cache, that makes it a lot more smooth to work with.
I've edited plenty of 1080p video on an ancient Macbook pro 2.66GHz i7, 8Gb ram without noteworthy issues.

But I don't know jack about laptops and my opinion is that they are a waste of money for anything regarding heavy media production, a desktop is cheaper and better for it. Also allowing you to upgrade along the line.

travelsbywater

Estimable
Feb 20, 2015
Thanks RunLuke I am wanting a desktop and I am using the GoPro suite and Premiere. As for the Glitches they are hanging up slow or stop go video, missing part of the video. My machine is old and I need a new one. I am a Windows girl though and can't change. Budget around 900 or up. I just don't know that much about graphics cards and was looking at this machine (Dell XPS X8700-2812BLK Desktop) and wondering if it would work?
Processor 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 processor (8M Cache, up to 3.2 GHz)
Operating System Windows 8.1 (64Bit) English
Memory 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 4 DIMMs
Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB DDR3
Hard Drive 1TB SATA 6Gb/s,7200RPM
Multimedia Drive 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW), write to CD/DVD
Media Card Reader 19-in-1 Media Card Reader and USB 3.0
Bluetooth Bluetooth tied to wireless card
Display No Monitor
Fax/Data Modem HDMI - Yes

travelsbywater

Estimable
Feb 20, 2015

Thanks RunLuke I am wanting a desktop and I am using the GoPro suite and Premiere. As for the Glitches they are hanging up slow or stop go video, missing part of the video. My machine is old and I need a new one. I am a Windows girl though and can't change. Budget around 900 or up. I just don't know that much about graphics cards and was looking at this machine (Dell XPS X8700-2812BLK Desktop) and wondering if it would work?

Processor 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 processor (8M Cache, up to 3.2 GHz)
Operating System Windows 8.1 (64Bit) English
Memory 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 4 DIMMs
Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB DDR3
Hard Drive 1TB SATA 6Gb/s,7200RPM
Multimedia Drive 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW), write to CD/DVD
Media Card Reader 19-in-1 Media Card Reader and USB 3.0
Bluetooth Bluetooth tied to wireless card
Display No Monitor
Fax/Data Modem HDMI - Yes

RunLuke

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014
Oh, well, I figured since you said "dell, acer" etc that you wanted a laptop, why not build your own? Budget is 900? you have a screen?

The XPS is a fine configuration, but I'd get a better GPU and an SSD,

RunLuke

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014
So, basically: Get at least a 770 GTX, an SSD (mucho importante!) and two drives and raid them for backup purposes if you don't have.

ALso, windows is the only way. OS X is crap

Solution