got hacked, looking for a cause

Nov 12, 2018
Hi there,
so i play GTAV pc online quite regularly, and last week i got a friend request from some random player. Nothing too out of the ordinary there, i figured id just done a heist mission with them and accepted the request.

Went about my business in game as usual, then suddenly got kicked from the session. Went off and did something else, came back and saw that my rockstar social club password had been changed.

Quickly changed it again, went online, and saw that someone had taken control of my online profile in the time i was offline, changed my username, and had deleted my friends list & crews.

Moreover, they had joined a crew started by the random person who had sent me a friend request in the first place. The plot thickened.

Managed to get onto Rockstar games about it and got my name changed back - got the impression this wasnt the first time it had happened - added 2 step security to my rockstar account and then thought nothing more of it.

Then 24 hours later, my email address was disabled and my steam account stolen.

Needless to say, i was somewhat apoplectic. Managed to recover my steam account (they were really great about it all), established a new email address and beefed up my security all over the place.

My question to the community: was the initial friend request and accept the root of all these problems? I ran a complete virus scan and got nothing back. Im obviously no longer friends with this person but is my GTAV account somehow now a backdoor for hackers?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mike Mason Antivirus / Security / Privacy 0
Paul Wagenseil Antivirus / Security / Privacy 1
Paul Wagenseil Antivirus / Security / Privacy 0
N Antivirus / Security / Privacy 19
T Antivirus / Security / Privacy 2
D Antivirus / Security / Privacy 2
D Antivirus / Security / Privacy 3
F Antivirus / Security / Privacy 4
verndewd Antivirus / Security / Privacy 7
eman2002826 Antivirus / Security / Privacy 5
W Antivirus / Security / Privacy 0