Gparted/3rd party & Windows hidden partiton

mac29

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
I just finally loaded 7 after it wouldn't recognize my sata drive but now I want to shrink the partition using Gparted. I have read that you cannot delete or remove the hidden system partition 7 creates (when installing to a whole drive). I believe moving it using 3rd party util may vy well corrupt the file table. Having done so before, I think that's the reason my 7 install didn't recognize the drive.

Q - I believe XP, Vista and 7 create 2 areas, on the front and the back end of the drive, that are these hidden system areas. I think I only need to worry about moving the one on the end. Anyone know if Gparted can move this "hidden system partiton" if I resize C: WITHOUT hosing MBR/file table? Sounds to me like Gparted moves it but then the table is wrong.

I don't care for the instructions I've found for not creating these areas (wish I had a better term for these, I just think of them as 'bumpers') while installing the OS; I'll be using Clonezilla for images & cloned partitions anyway.

If anyone is familiar w/Gparted first hand, that would be especially pertinent. I'm not sure if resizing will in fact cause a problem, just want to be sure before I go ahead and start loading appls. Want to be exact because I'll be learning server flavors on this disk.

Thank you,

Mac

nhasian

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
XP and Vista only create a single partition. Windows 7 creates a small system partition at the beginning of the drive.

How to Avoid 200MB Hidden System Partition From Been Created During Windows 7 Installation