GPS Navigation May Fail Next Year

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]What I'm wondering is, why is the US government paying for GPS that's beneficial to the rest of the world?Correct me if I'm wrong, but rest of the world should pay the US a fee for being allowed to use their GPS.[/citation]
Hmmmm... maybe the US will let their GPS system fall apart so others will put one up in its place (say the EU or China or both). That way they will be paying for it. :)

ThePatriot

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
It has been a long time policy to make other nations dependent on us technology so that uncle sam has control. Well, other nations are moving away from this. Other GPS systems, non us operating systems for computers, non us chips, non us routers, etc. It is all happening.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Great! US will be forced to pull out troops of Afghanistan and Iraq.

[citation][nom]axekick[/nom]How long do these things last. As far as I knew I was among the very first to use GPS which was in the very early 1990's doing land surveying - Evidently the military or government has other uses for it long before we did??[/citation]

A decade at most I think. You can read about that in Internet.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
SA, or selective availability is not in the current generation of satellites. As a result the United States cannot stop anyone from using GPS. It's a low watt radio transmission. Other than turning it off completely how do you think the US can control who uses those radio signals?

Oh yeah they can't.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]cracklint[/nom]they just need a bailout![/citation]
This is the Air Force youre talking about here. Our new president will be destroying their budget and there will be no money to fix the GPS system.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]gorehound[/nom]i would agree that wherever or whoever wrote this article it is not a fail but a political type article.[/citation]

The article is written that way because they want more funding. That's it. It's no secret.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Er... the last prez (you know, the retard) has sucked us dry of $$$, killed 4000+ Americans... so yeah, we're all suffering. But at least he's a reborn christian. yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa shu-up.

Cost of military operations has been going up and up, period. One of the big reasons WE won the "cold war" against Russia is that... Russia went broke.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
[citation][nom]parrish[/nom]"only 3 satellites are needed to provide an accurate fix"[/citation]
False, 3 visible satellites are needed to get a fix at all. Te be accurate, you'll need at least 4, even 5, or, even better, DGPS.

[citation][nom]hajila[/nom]The GPS satellites are geosynchronous...[/citation]
False, GPS satellite orbit altitude is just over half (22,200km) of that of geosynchronous ones (35,800km).

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I would guess that as technology evolves in geo-satellite systems that there will be a more 'global' effort to keep the service available. I'm not sure if GSM cell phones will fail if GPS goes down but I *KNOW* the CDMA phones will... I was working at AirTouch (now Verizon) the last time the DoD did a GPS shutdown test in the 1990's and we had all (then) 30 of our US CDMA CBSC switches tank.

It would be of benefit for the other G20 countries to kick some dollars, euros, yen, etc. into the research and deployment effort for this cargo since we are all big consumers of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.