GPU-Assisted Malware Can Be Difficult to Detect

Status
Not open for further replies.

duzcizgi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]assholes just gave an idea to the hackers[/citation]

Considering there are about 6 billion people in the world and also considering that the hackers have all above average education and intelligence, this paper is not giving them any new ideas but just warning the rest of the community on this possiblitiy.

As the paper states, it is nearly impossible to detect such a malware with the conventional methots that we all use in our current "security suites" that we pay subscription for security of our computer.

In short, there's no guarantee that someone already exploited this (if I was a malware author, I'd have silently used it and shut my mouth) but none of our antivirus/antimalware programs were able to even detect its presence!

Rancifer7

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I wonder how well it will unpack on the massively parallel integrated Intel graphics?

Maybe now the malware can play Crysis..

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]Here we go!One more feature of my system Norton will kneecap.[/citation]

somebody on tom's uses norton? >_< move past the bloatware. avg free or something.. really almost anything (short of macafee) will be less full of bloatware

bear_jesus

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
would gpu load not give it away, for one would the gpu not go from idle clock speeds to loaded speeds and also from 0% load to anything above it?

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
People who develop malware and viruses and trojans make the computing world a "dangerous" place. Yet now we really need to have computers to carry on business. Maybe it's time for governments to make developing malware, etc. a very dangerous profession.

fusion_gtx

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
[citation][nom]yyk71200[/nom]So, will NVidia and ATI will have to incorporate an antivirus into their drivers?[/citation]

Yup, just wait till your video cards come with 60 day trials of Norton and McAfee!

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]bear_jesus[/nom]would gpu load not give it away, for one would the gpu not go from idle clock speeds to loaded speeds and also from 0% load to anything above it?[/citation]

I don't think it would fully give it away; the data being manipulated would still be untraceable using conventional methods.

To draw an analogy, it would be like seeing the number counter on a shopping mall entrance go up and up very quickly, without knowing anything about the people going through..all you'd know was that someone was there.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]g-thor[/nom]People who develop malware and viruses and trojans make the computing world a "dangerous" place. Yet now we really need to have computers to carry on business. Maybe it's time for governments to make developing malware, etc. a very dangerous profession.[/citation]

Yes, let's trust them..after all, we have the likes of Obama. Let's also remember that governments have never lied to people in the past. Let's put all our faith in them implicitly, for they know best and doesn't this country look better off for it.

CircusMusic

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]assholes just gave an idea to the hackers[/citation]
Not exactly a new vector... Heard about the rootkits that could be flashed onto the GPU's internal memory?

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]somebody on tom's uses norton? >_< move past the bloatware. avg free or something.. really almost anything (short of macafee) will be less full of bloatware[/citation]

AVG free is HORRIBLE. Don't use it!!! Go with something else like Avira... it's free too and it works.

weefatbob

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]somebody on tom's uses norton? >_< move past the bloatware. avg free or something.. really almost anything (short of macafee) will be less full of bloatware[/citation]

Obvious you have not used Norton Products in past year and half, otherwise you may actually have given some decent knowledge based argument rather than the old winded 'Norton bad' overused quote. This tag was well earned in the past, for several years they were horrendous and a real PITA on system resources and not really much use with all the crap they installed.

But in the past year and a half that has changed dramatically.

Next time, make sure you know what you are talking about before you go and blast someone for using something that you have ZERO current knowledge on, then and only then give an informed opinion rather than an arrogant I know better because in nineteen umpteen blah blah blah....I give up, I am so bored talking to you now, seriously, you have no idea what you are talking about!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.