GPU Doesn't Show up & is not listed under Display in device manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thenightmare12

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Hello all.

yesterday i bought a new Asus G551JW, After installing my windows, i tried to install my nVidia GPU (GTX 960m) but it it says that it "cannot find compatible hardware".
and i checked device manager but under Display it only show my Intel HD GPU (HD 4600).
i tried other windows too (like win 8 and 10 build 10240), still nothing.

and i cant find a good answer all over the internet. some people says that you have to change your GPU in BIOS, but i couldn't find anything that related to GPU in BIOS

I just payed $1,200, please help.
thank you all in advance.

jhaydon81

Estimable
May 17, 2014
I would try reinstalling the OS using the recovery partition and give it a try. I had to do that to a friends desktop that wasn't recognizing the driver a few weeks ago.

jhaydon81

Estimable
May 17, 2014
Go to Asus website and download the chipset drivers and any pci drivers. I have a feeling that they got screwed up somewhere the chipset drivers can throw off a lot of different things on a laptop.

Thenightmare12

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

No, I did that too. and still nothing.
and I send it back this morning.

anyway thanks for trying.

and when i heard from them, I'll post the answer here and let you know what was wrong.
(Asus MUST Answer me, cause this is bad)

This is not really an issue for Asus unless you bought the card from them as being compatible. They will in all likelihood just tell you to contact the video card maker (unless that is an Asus card also LOL), but even then you will go from "it's the computer" to "it's the card" back and forth.

You need to test the card in another computer to rule things out. If it works in another computer, then it's your computer.

Thenightmare12

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

its a notebook, how the hell can I test the card with another computer.
its not a Desktop PC. okay?

But, Thanks.

You said "you tried to install your NVidia GPU" which to me reads you had that card and were installing it into that system (MXM slot). If you were just trying to install the drivers that is different.

If the computer was new, did it work before you install your own copy of Windows on it or did you not check that?

Status
Not open for further replies.