GPU strange temperatures issue

avvelenamento

Estimable
Mar 19, 2015
Hi all, I experienced a strange issue with my laptop. Playing at dying light, CPU and GPU temps in about 2 minutes reach over 70C (GPU) and close to 80C for all 4 cores. Last night with only power supplied by battery I noticed that the temperatures dramatically drop! I played 30 minutes with the same game, but now temperatures were less than 55C both for CPU and GPU. How can this happen? is it possible to recreate this also when using AC?

My configuration
I7 4710HQ 2.5 GHz
8GB RAM
GTX 850m 2GB VRAM
windows 8.1 64bit

I play dying light with min. setting; no overclocking.

Solution
It's probably due to the fact that your power profiles are different for battery or AC power. Go into Control Panel, power options, change profile settings and under the advanced options look at the processor power management options. Make sure that for both battery power and AC power the min processor states are 5% and under system cooling policy if it's currently set to active for AC power, change it to passive, if it's set to passive change it to active, at least temporarily.

Most likely one or more cooling fans have failed and on battery power the system is throttling the CPU and GPU so the temps are much lower due to the lower multiplier and voltage values for both the cpu and gpu.

Do you notice if the fans are running full...
It's probably due to the fact that your power profiles are different for battery or AC power. Go into Control Panel, power options, change profile settings and under the advanced options look at the processor power management options. Make sure that for both battery power and AC power the min processor states are 5% and under system cooling policy if it's currently set to active for AC power, change it to passive, if it's set to passive change it to active, at least temporarily.

Most likely one or more cooling fans have failed and on battery power the system is throttling the CPU and GPU so the temps are much lower due to the lower multiplier and voltage values for both the cpu and gpu.

Do you notice if the fans are running full speed, or at all, when the temps get out of hand? You may also have a thermal paste issue. Over time the thermal paste between the processor or gpu and their respective heat sinks may dry up and lose the ability to transfer heat well. Disassembly and repasting will be necessary if nothing else works, including if a fan is to blame.

You may need to replace a fan.

Solution

avvelenamento

Estimable
Mar 19, 2015

hi, first of all, thanks for your suggestions. Anyway I bought this laptop less than one month ago, it would be really disappointing if a fan already failed!!! but I think is unlikely, because other games like the evil within or dark souls 2 don't reach high temperatures (less than 65C for CPU and GPU). I'll try to change energy settings.