Graphics Card Conflict Issue (Laptop): Black screen when both cards are enabled

rkupcake

Estimable
Jan 28, 2016
I am running windows 10 on a Lenovo ideapad, less than two years old. Recently, I have encountered a problem wherein the screen will be black (back-lit, no cursor, no display, verified computer is still running with remote desktop) if both the Intel on-board HD graphics and my Nvidia GTX 730M GPU are enabled. I am lead to believe that the system should be able to decide which to use. When i disable the Intel graphics in the device manager, the screen works properly, but when it should sleep, the screen stays back-lit and just goes black. Additionally,most programs run without issue, but games are running much slower than they used to, basically unplayable in their current state. In investigating this, i attempted to open the Nvidia control panel, which is unavailable because "you are not currently using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU" which doesn't make sense, since its the only card enabled. I'm not sure if this means that there is something wrong with my card, or if the computer just isn't using it (which would explain the game performance).

I guess I'm at a bit of a loss, since Neither myself nor my more tech savvy friends have been able to track down and resolve this issue. The computer runs, but it's a bit of a bummer to not be able to play any games, and I'd just like to have the functionality I had before back. Ideally, I'd like to find out why I suddenly have to keep one card off, and fix that, but I'm not particularly knowledgeable, so I'll deffer to the judgement of those of you who know more than me.

I'm willing to try a system restore, but I'd prefer not to if at all possible, since I'd lose Microsoft office, which I need for school, and no longer have the product key for. If there's anything any of you can think of to try, I'm all ears!

Thank you very much for your time and help!

Hi,

Please do try a clean install of your graphics card first that may help in solving the issue.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall NVIDIA graphics driver.
- Open Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to NVIDIA graphics.
- Next is to download and install the latest graphics driver.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Once installed reboot your laptop and try setting NVIDIA as the default graphics card.
- Please refer to the link below:
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/kw/setting%20nvidia%20as%20the%20graphics%20card

If all these will not work then last resort would be to do a clean install of Windows.

TRENDING THREADS