Grey/Colored Screen while gaming

McShane

Commendable
Jun 3, 2016
I have been having an issue for quite some time now and have not found a fix anywhere, wile I have found some work arounds in this time it appears to be getting worse as time goes on, anyway the issue is as follows:

I will start up certain games (generally happens with the more intensive ones but cant confirm) and after a while with no performance loss or anything they will crash to a grey screen generally but other flat colors sometimes too. sometimes I can hear the game is still playing in the background other times the audio goes static and I can tell that its all frozen up. Either way I must restart the computer to get it going again.

After it has had this crash it will then crash within 20-30 seconds of launching any game until I unplug my charger and let it go flat. Once it has gone flat and I recharge it it will go on performing perfectly normal for a day or so till it all happens again. Another fix was to unplug the battery from the inside and plug it back in but this doesn't work 100%.

It is all very confusing and infuriating as there is never set circumstances or reactions for the crash.

Laptop specs:
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393)
System Manufacturer: Alienware
System Model: Alienware 17
BIOS: A14
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4900MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32692MB RAM
Page File: 4203MB used, 33351MB available
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 780M
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Any help is much appreciated

McShane

Commendable
Jun 3, 2016

I don't think it is temperature related as there are no spikes in temp at the times of the crash no spikes in anything noticeable. Then there is the fact that it will continue to crash no matter how hot or cold it is until I run the battery flat.