Grey screen with cursor after startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendybc3

Prominent
Feb 7, 2017
My screen goes grey after start up. I can see my cursor and can move it. But can't see anything else.

Solution
Try this....

Make sure you wait until the computer would be fully loaded before trying this, and not try it right away like you would to say get into BIOS. This needs you to actually be where you would be when Windows Explorer loads.

1. Press "Shift" repeatedly until the "sticky keys" window show ups.

2. Now click the the link there that will lead to the "Ease of Access Center".

3. Next click "Cancel" on the the bottom right corner of the "Set Up Sticky Keys" window.

4. From here you want to click "Control Panel" on the upper left corner (it should be right beside the "Make Your Computer Easier to Use" title.

5. Locate the "Computer Settings" menu and then choose the "Recovery" icon (make sure that your view of this is by either...
Try this....

Make sure you wait until the computer would be fully loaded before trying this, and not try it right away like you would to say get into BIOS. This needs you to actually be where you would be when Windows Explorer loads.

1. Press "Shift" repeatedly until the "sticky keys" window show ups.

2. Now click the the link there that will lead to the "Ease of Access Center".

3. Next click "Cancel" on the the bottom right corner of the "Set Up Sticky Keys" window.

4. From here you want to click "Control Panel" on the upper left corner (it should be right beside the "Make Your Computer Easier to Use" title.

5. Locate the "Computer Settings" menu and then choose the "Recovery" icon (make sure that your view of this is by either large or small icons for easier access).

6. Now click and open "System Restore".

7. Here you want to click next on the bottom right corner (a few times) until the button "Finish" shows up and then click it. (Just follow everything prompt that the window says which will lead you to recovering your previous system, in a certain time.

8. The computer will now do the work it needs to and then reboot.

If that doesn't work, you can try the following...

You can also try doing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete and see if you can get "Task Manager" to show.

If the "Task Manager" windows shows, then choose "New Task" and then type in EXPLORER. If the desktop shows up then you need to go into "Start", "Programs", then "Accessories" and finally "Command Prompt". (Or you can do a search for CMD.)

Make sure you load the "Command Prompt" with Administrator access. Then when it loads type in....

SFC /SCANNOW

It will do a file check.

To learn more about "SFC" visit this link at Microsoft... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Solution

anant_4

Prominent
Jul 15, 2017

Hi Ankur,

I too am facing a similar problem.

My laptop, a Toshiba satellite c600-p4012 with original windows 10, had installed some updates while shutting down. The next time, it says that the pc has run into some error (0xc000021a) with a BSOD. It tried repairing on its own, but nothing positive. I tried chkdsk command, sfc /scannnow command and restore health command, still the same result.

Also tried resetting the PC with keep my files option, tried startup repair, tried booting from a usb drive, but invain.

The last time though I tried repairing it and booted it via USB, it then displayed , "Undoing changes" and then resetting and then again booted up giving me a grey screen with an underscore in the top left corner of the screen. I first suspected that it's because of the USB(cz it has happened in the past), after several hours, I removed the USB but it won't go past the grey screen and now I am not getting the BSOD error as it seems like it is stuck on the grey screen. Moreover, if I try to use my keyboard after a couple of hits some strange beeping sound comes after every keystroke.

Request you to please help, and is there a way I can recover my data?

Thanks

koesys

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
I am also facing the same problem, but only today and just once : grey screen with mouse available but no action possible... I just reboot my computer by keeping my finger on the startup button and it restarted normally. I already had that bug a few time, like every month or two...
I have a Gigabyte P55 with original windows 10.

gayinsandusky

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
Key the "multiple monitors" option for your particular machine. I had HDMI connect to a monitor in the shop and also a VGA connected to a VGA monitor in the shop, both ports were on the same graphics card. Someone killed the power on the power strip the HDMI was on, and after 15 minutes, I realized what had happened. The computer was in multi-monitor mode, the HDMI was the best monitor and Windows defaulted to HDMI as my primary monitor - the VGA was the default login screen background for monitors 2, 3, 4.
Powered on the monitor, login screen was there, logged in w/o a problem. Shut down, removed HDMI, machine booted properly from VGA port. SO, you machine probably thinks it's using an external monitor - check the settings.

a c0mputer guru

Status
Not open for further replies.