GTA 5 Fps drops

nick60

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
Hey there,
I've recently bought gta 5 on my pc and I've been noticing some issues.Whenever I fire up the game i get 70-75 fps while running around or driving,however after about an hour to 1.5 hours i notice the game begins to stutter and hiccup.The game goes from 70fps down to 20 and then back to 70 every 2 seconds.Its really been bugging me because i love the game and hate that this happens.Can anyone help out?

SPECS: RX 470
i5 6400
2x4gb crucial ddr4 2133
1tb seagate barracuda hdd
msi b150m pro vd-h
evga 500b power supply
Deepcool Tesseract white SW case

Solution
I believe your RAM is likely the issue. After about 30 min of play my RAM and Pagefile usage is as below. I would suggest 16GB:

d78KKwH.png

HamBown81

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017

More is more better. 12GB is better than 8GB

I'm not certain what the impact of running three sticks will be as they normally won't run in dual channel mode. I suspect the increased capacity will outweigh any increase in latency

boju

Distinguished
HamBown81 is right, GTA 5 is a resource hog in the way it does streaming assets.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/people-who-experience-stutters-in-gta-v-or-any-other-games.2428547/

The game caches a lot of data to the hdd and how much depends on Vram usage and System memory. Often 8GB systems using 3GB+ Vram ingame can create a pagefile of 8-10GB sometimes more to the hdd. An SSD would help but to prevent the game from swapping from the hdd too often is having more system memory or try lower the Vram usage.

nick60

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017

HamBown81

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017

It seems to go to the Pagefile first for me. It got up to 10 or 11GB before the RAM usage continued to rise.

boju

Distinguished

Yea thats true as the game loads, not everything will be cached to system memory but of course having more ram just means the data can sit in there longer without being a pain.

I suggest you get another IDENTICAL 2x4GB kit if possible (see PCPARTPICKER).

That will allow you to stay in DUAL CHANNEL mode. A single stick added would drop you to SINGLE CHANNEL mode which in some cases will increase the CPU bottleneck.

It's not a big deal for most games but it does matter for some. Probably won't affect GTA5, but the extra memory should.