Gtx 1080ti pc or gtx 1070 laptop

Soham Sengupta

Estimable
Apr 23, 2015
I am having a real big doubt. I am going to an engineering college and i have 2 options - 1. Gtx 1080ti pc
2. Gtx 1070 laptop. Now what do you guys think i should opt for? I live in india. The laptop i will be choosing is msi ge73 raider and the desktop will be custom built by me. The price of both of them are nearly the same, i.e $2500. Pla reply soon. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Yes, as the above poster said, the best of both worlds is to buy a gaming desktop especially since you are running VR and you are going to need all that horse power. Also, buy a cheap laptop to use on the go. This way, you dont have to lug around a heavy gaming laptop with you everytime. Plus, most likely you will mostly be gaming in your room anyway. However, also keep in mind that when you do go back home during the vacations, it will be more difficult to take the desktop with you unless you decide to leave it back in the dorm or you live relatively near to your home and therefore using the car as the transport in which case this combination will work wonders. And, yes, save money by getting a 1080 and putting the saved up money to be...

ben_brett01

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
overall i believe you will get the most out of the gtx1080ti pc. it will give a lot more performance for the price and it would be better in the long run. if you have the drive and the knowledge build the pc however the laptop would be the easier choice and a little more portable.
hope this helped !

ArchitSahu

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014
A PC is not a bad idea. Perhaps, you could try buying a chromebook or so for daily work and getting a 1080 instead of a 1080Ti. This will allow you to serve your gaming needs as well as have a decent option for taking notes during classes.

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Yes, as the above poster said, the best of both worlds is to buy a gaming desktop especially since you are running VR and you are going to need all that horse power. Also, buy a cheap laptop to use on the go. This way, you dont have to lug around a heavy gaming laptop with you everytime. Plus, most likely you will mostly be gaming in your room anyway. However, also keep in mind that when you do go back home during the vacations, it will be more difficult to take the desktop with you unless you decide to leave it back in the dorm or you live relatively near to your home and therefore using the car as the transport in which case this combination will work wonders. And, yes, save money by getting a 1080 and putting the saved up money to be used on a laptop or better yet, on a date!

Solution

ArchitSahu

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014

Your build is decent. However, not having an SSD with the level of components you have is not good. If it is too tight, take the 1080ti down a notch to a 1080 and get a SSD. It is completely worth it.

Soham Sengupta

Estimable
Apr 23, 2015
About the ssd, I know that including a ssd will speed up my boot times and game load times, but i have thought about it and decided to include it in as a future upgrade and I will upgrade to a m.2 one only cause of faster boot times or maybe an intel optane one.

ArchitSahu

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014
I am going to respond to your queries in numbers.

1. I highly recommend the SSD. I run off only an HDD and it takes 3 minutes to load and another 5 minutes for everything to set up. Then after that each program takes its own time to load up. Trust me, an SSD is not a future upgrade by a thing needed from the start.

2. Both have nearly the same read and write times afaik. Either way, it will work.

3. I saw that laptop earlier. It looked bulky and not that great so I skipped it. If you want it, pick it up.

Also, a friendly reminder. Don't make so many different posts. Put it in one message and send it, saves up clutter.

Soham Sengupta

Estimable
Apr 23, 2015
thanks for your help.
1. I'll edit all of that.
2. I have a pc currently running i5 6500 and gtx 1070 with 8gb ddr4 2400mhz ram which boots off of a wd caviar blue, which is exactly the hdd you have. Boot time to desktop, tbh is about 1 min from full shutdown to main page, i.e, my desktop wallpaper, which isn't that bad

ArchitSahu

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014

Hmm, Perhaps you don't have it as filled as mine. Mine is completely filled to the brim, such that I had to buy a WD Cloud to offload some of the files and it is still filled.

Either way, an SSD is something I HIGHLY recommend. But if you feel you can do without, it is completely fine.