GTX 10xx Laptop Connection and Barebones Laptop

AndrewBlake

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
Two questions/Topics:

The new GTX 10-series for laptops is the desktop versions shoved inside a laptop, so I was wondering if that meant all these laptops have pci x16 slots inside of them, as I heard they are not compatible with XMX (?) laptop graphic slots. If so, how large are these slots and such? I couldn't find anything on it in my searches.

On another note, I was wondering if there were any cheap barebones laptops that can support the 10-series graphics cards. I searched around but couldn't find any.

Solution
Unlike the older mobile series where the same number (980 vs 980m) model were still vastly different between each other, the pascal 10xx series are super tight. They are NOT desktop cards and they are NOT the same chip, but the number of pipelines and the clock speeds are VERY close, and the performance difference is no more than %10.

It seems mxm is sill used for the 10x0 laptops that have a replaceable video card, but you are still in the same situation where the cards are not sold direct to consumer, and you still need to figure out how you are going to cool it. In a thread on msi forums I was reading how a user was successful in obtaining a 1070 mxm pulled from a 1070 based laptop, and he successfully worked it into his older 9x0...

ThatVietGuy

Distinguished

You are grossly mistaken.

The GTX GPUs for laptops are not the same as their desktop equivalents. A GTX 1080m in a laptop is not the same GTX 1080 in a desktop and so on.

Laptops use MXM connectors for their GPUs, not PCIe.

And the reason cheap barebones laptops don't have expandable slots is the reason why they're so cheap.

AndrewBlake

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

Well this reply doesn't exactly help me, as I already stated that I heard that MXM connectors are not compatible with the GTX 10-series so I was wondering what slot type they used. Also, I know most GTX GPUs are not the same, however the 10-series, according to NVIDIA themselves, is the same in almost every way. They are not even listed as 10xx m.

On the barebones, I couldn't find any barebones at all that sounded like they could support it, so...

mpc007

Commendable
May 13, 2016
VietGuy is not really right either.

The GTX1080 desktop and mobile have some minor differences, but they are ALMOST the same (at least the full gpu core is), the difference is negligible when compared to the differences between desktop and mobile gpus from past generations.

And yes, often OEMs use MXM in more expensive notebooks, but MXM is nothing more than a proprietary PCI-E connection. Mobile GPUs work also with PCI-E.

But not all GPUs are build in via MXM, only the parts in high tier gaming laptops. This is because its cheaper to just build them on the board itself. If you are able to find a Pascal MXM card, then you will most likely be able to build it in another MXM capable notebook. If it works, depends on drivers.

kraelic

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Desktop version as they are not cut down cores or speed clocked to fit the TDP. The model should be equal to the same desktop card of the same name. Older times you got the 60 series desktop worked to fit a mobile 80 series. And the MXM form factor does have pci express x16 electrically. Though it seems that a lot of vendors are going back to soldered in designs not the MXM module.

JeffDaemon

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Unlike the older mobile series where the same number (980 vs 980m) model were still vastly different between each other, the pascal 10xx series are super tight. They are NOT desktop cards and they are NOT the same chip, but the number of pipelines and the clock speeds are VERY close, and the performance difference is no more than %10.

It seems mxm is sill used for the 10x0 laptops that have a replaceable video card, but you are still in the same situation where the cards are not sold direct to consumer, and you still need to figure out how you are going to cool it. In a thread on msi forums I was reading how a user was successful in obtaining a 1070 mxm pulled from a 1070 based laptop, and he successfully worked it into his older 9x0 based laptop. Of course this requires obtaining the video card from a newer MSI machine that was for what ever reason parted out.

Solution