Gtx 670m defected?

chuckles87

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
i just received my clevo laptop with gtx 670m , but i noticed when i run benchmarks at 99% load the temperature rises to 97c-96c , is that normal or im having a BBQ inside my laptop?

thently

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I would say that is not to far from normal laptop or really any video card does not normally sit at 100% usage so your normal temps will prob be around 70 to 80s and that is just what you get for cramming a discreet graphics card in a laptop.

Thent

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Hello,

Hmm what benchmark? That is extremely high. I would suggest contacting the company you got that laptop from and ask what temps you should be getting.

Your not using that gaming laptop on your lap are you? That will cause the laptop to have no airflow and cause it to heat up quicker.

The laptop needs to be on a flat solid surface to operate properly (good airflow).

unclejehmimah

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
You're certainly having a BBQ, but that doesn't say the chip is defective. If it were, you would be getting artifacts. Clevo is rather obscure company and I would not be surprised if they messed up. Make sure all your fans are spinning. If it gets this hot on a regular basis, that's a problem. But you won't be benching all the time.

thently

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Clevo is not an abscure company they sell these OEM laptops to a ton of third parties think Prostar ,Sager, Xotic PC, Reflex... These laptops are very high end and custom built. Maybe try a laptop cooler.

Thent

chuckles87

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
the benchmark is furmark but it is any application that use 99% load , should i continue using it or am i risking frying it , could a thermal paste job fix it or it is a faulty chip?

thently

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I would recomend calling the company you got it from and asking. I would believe this is normal and I would believe if they said it was not. So just check in as no one here will know for sure.

Thent

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
"Clevo is not an abscure company they sell these OEM laptops to a ton of third parties think Prostar ,Sager, Xotic PC, Reflex... These laptops are very high end and custom built. Maybe try a laptop cooler.

Thent "

... Ibuypower /all of theirs/, AVADirect /most/, Malibal /all?/ ... and some models for brands like HP... In other words maybe the best overall if you don't count some extremely expensive rare gear like Falcon Northwest, maybe some Alienware models

96-97 degree C is definitely not right IMHO

Furmark is known to really, really stress the video card beyond what a game is capable of. I recommend you stop using Furmark immediately.

Just load up a game and play it for an hour or two. You can ALT+TAB out of the game to check on your temps every now and then. GTA 4 is pretty stressful on the CPU and GPU so if you have that game, then give it a spin on your laptop.