GTX 950m Low FPS on second monitor

GHE33

Prominent
Jun 25, 2017
Hi guys,

I am experiencing a 10 FPS slowdown when gaming on my second monitor (an Asus 23" via HDMI cable) as opposed to on my laptop screen.

I thought that the HDMI should be fast enough to not have any lag? Somehow it doesn't seem to be the case.

It does not matter if I disable my laptop screen while I play on the second screen. Can any experts help me out and throw some ideas? It literally makes the difference between smooth and not so smooth gameplay in some instances.

I am running an Asus K501U with an i7-6500U processor + Intel GPU, 8GB ram with an Nvidia GTX 950m (2GB), about 2 years old.

Many thanks!

Solution
k. did some checkin around.
if you can speed up you 2nd monitor to 144hz then the lag btwn frames goes from 16ms to 6ms
copy?
also, some people say that if you right click your screen, click personalize, then troubleshoot
problems with transparency, you can disable transparency which should help.
last, go into display options and make your external monitor your main display.
swhat I found on the hdwre/gamer sites. last one may only reverse symptoms
between monitors.

GHE33

Prominent
Jun 25, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from GHE33 : "Low FPS on second monitor (Asus)"

Hi guys,

I am experiencing a 10 FPS slowdown when gaming on my second monitor (an Asus 23" via HDMI cable) as opposed to on my laptop screen.

I thought that the HDMI should be fast enough to not have any lag? Somehow it doesn't seem to be the case.

It does not matter if I disable my laptop screen while I play on the second screen. Can any experts help me out and throw some ideas? It literally makes the difference between smooth and not so smooth gameplay in some instances.

I am running an Asus K501U with an i7-6500U processor + Intel GPU, 8GB ram with an Nvidia GTX 950m (2GB), about 2 years old.

Many thanks!

mauxie

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
if the gpu is creating frames at the native resolution of the monitor, it will require more
processing power. this is a given, just as reducing the game resolution will increase
game performance. have you ensured that the resolution going to the external is
the same as that going to the laptop screen? can you specify this parameter in your
system?

GHE33

Prominent
Jun 25, 2017

Hi Mauxie,

Yes, they are both outputting to1920 x 1080. The monitor is running at 60 hz and is on 'game mode,' if that makes a difference. I've made sure that it is the Nvidia working during gameplay instead of the Intel. That is why it is annoying, I always thought there shouldn't be any slow-down between native and HDMI at the same resolution. Thanks for your reply.

mauxie

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
k. did some checkin around.
if you can speed up you 2nd monitor to 144hz then the lag btwn frames goes from 16ms to 6ms
copy?
also, some people say that if you right click your screen, click personalize, then troubleshoot
problems with transparency, you can disable transparency which should help.
last, go into display options and make your external monitor your main display.
swhat I found on the hdwre/gamer sites. last one may only reverse symptoms
between monitors.

Solution