GTX970/980M or wait for pascal

NathanG93

Estimable
Oct 15, 2015
Hey guys, I just want to say first off thank you for taking the time to read my question :)

I am looking at getting a new gaming laptop as my current one is at the point where it's out of date, it lasted about 4 years so I am happy about that, but it's time to upgrade.

I am just extremely stuck right now as I don't know whether to go ahead and buy a laptop with a GTX970 or 980M or if I should wait for the new range of cards.
It always seems to be a waiting game and I do understand the logic of if I wait then the next thing will come about but if I had have waited even longer I would have got something even better. It would just become a waiting game and I would be 80 years old without my new laptop :/

I'd love to hear your guys opinions on the matter and what I should be doing. Even if I was to get a current card which would be worth it 970 or 980?
I currently have a gaming desktop with a GTX980 but I need something mobile as I travel between places a lot!

Thanks again guys, I love you all!

Solution
The full version of gtx 980 is now available for laptops, with sli options fast approaching. Unless you are wanting to game in 4k+ with high settings, even one of these cards is sufficient for pushing 1080p, and will be for at least a couple years; with 2 in sli you can extend that functionality even further. Pascal looks to bring some interesting tech, but that brand-new tech will also cost, and the price(s) of the 970m, 980m and full 980 will inevitably go down when Pascal drops. It really comes down to how patient you can be, and how deep your pockets are. If you can keep that 4 year-old system alive for another 6 months (at least), and have the funds to pay the premium for a brand-new product, wait for Pascal. Otherwise, buy a...

why_sleep

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
The full version of gtx 980 is now available for laptops, with sli options fast approaching. Unless you are wanting to game in 4k+ with high settings, even one of these cards is sufficient for pushing 1080p, and will be for at least a couple years; with 2 in sli you can extend that functionality even further. Pascal looks to bring some interesting tech, but that brand-new tech will also cost, and the price(s) of the 970m, 980m and full 980 will inevitably go down when Pascal drops. It really comes down to how patient you can be, and how deep your pockets are. If you can keep that 4 year-old system alive for another 6 months (at least), and have the funds to pay the premium for a brand-new product, wait for Pascal. Otherwise, buy a system with sli capability and one or 2 980m's, or consider the full 980 options. You've chosen an exciting time to jump back into mobile graphics. I hope the solution you choose proves satisfactory.

Solution

NathanG93

Estimable
Oct 15, 2015

Honestly thank you so much for this, you have convinced me to hold off at the moment, I am currently running an MSI GT70 with a 675m so it still manages games on low graphics, and plus I have my gaming desktop with a single GTX 980, so I am just being greedy haha :p
Again, thank you!