Hack Into Laptops Via Power Outlet, Lasers

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Woah this stuff sounds crazy. I thought a computer would be safe it was completely isolated from networks but through the power outlet is scary. This sounds like radical stuff.

G

This kinda stuff is possible in theory, but no need to worry about it in real life.

For the laser, a single shift of the keyboard and everything gets skewed. For the power outlet, someone turning on a lightbulb would increase load on the grid and scramble the signal.

So it is possible, but don't expect any of this in real life.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I have a better idea to steal someone's important information using a laser pointer. Shine it in their face to stun them, punch them out, grab the notebook and run!

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I have a better idea to steal someone's important information using a laser pointer. Shine it in their face to stun them, punch them out, grab the notebook and run!

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009

Swivelguy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
Wow, nice quadruple post. If I'm reading this correctly, the laser method just gets you the vibrations of the user typing from afar... OH NOES, SOMEBODY'S STEALING MY TYPING NOISES!! Wouldn't a parabolic microphone do the same thing without needing all of the converting-laser-back-to-sound business?

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Well maybe if a hacker and a stupid Windows user (using IE of course) were sitting in an isolated enclosed room and the Windows user was REALLY stupid, it may be possible to get their useless info if the hacker was very lucky :p

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
the laser capturing vibrations is such a stupid idea...... unless i was the only person in the area on my laptop, say a cafe, there will be other people walking around causing vibrations which would interfere with the signals from my keystrokes. Even if there was nobody walking around and it's just me and my laptop causing the vibrations, I think I'd notice the weird looking guy in the corner aiming a frigging laser at me

frozenlead

Distinguished
[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]so, I challenge them to hack my unplugged laptop inside my window tinted car...[/citation]

That would actually probably make the laser work better, with more reflected light. Depends on what kind of laser you use, though.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I think, as many of you probably do too, that there are some serious problems with this set of ideas. What about the inverter on the power supply? AC in, AC out, DC internals?
What if I run my vacuum cleaner on the same 15A circuit as the laptop? I know my lights dim slightly when doing this as it is a series circuit. Run a blender (motor device)? Introduce other unshielded cables to the power cord's vicinity? Variable induction fields, magnets, etc?

Sounds very hypothetical to me.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Absolute nonsense! No way you will be able to detect any voltage fluctuations - if they even exist - over the numerous apps that are running on that computer drawing different resources, plus all the other appliances that are plugged in that building.
The Laser LOS trick is even more BS.
No if you want to do it right, a more plausible way is to find a trans-dimensional wormhole that goes back in time and send a camera through it. It's gotta work - I mean I saw Denzel Washington and Val Kilmer do it on Deja Vu.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
[citation][nom]_cubase_[/nom]I have a better idea to steal someone's important information using a laser pointer. Shine it in their face to stun them, punch them out, grab the notebook and run![/citation]
I don't know why everyone is dissing Cubase's idea, sounds more pluasible than the other 2. I am sure the CIA has better tricks up their sleeve than measuring voltages and laser vibration measurement - which I beleive only works on sound against a glass pane - and even then you get a really crap sound reproduction.

pirateboy

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation][nom]_cubase_[/nom]I have a better idea to steal someone's important information using a laser pointer. Shine it in their face to stun them, punch them out, grab the notebook and run![/citation]

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.