Hacker Makes ATMs Puke Money, Shows How

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Isn't this obvious, like saying "there is no such thing as a safecracker-proof vault"? As ATMs become more computerized they are naturally going to be more bug-prone and finding those weaknesses is only a matter of time. The only thing stopping the banks from losing all their money is the deterrents they put in place like locks, security cameras, network monitors, etc. to make it hard to steal and get away with it.

Stealing will always be possible, though. There is no getting around it.

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
They make debit cards more secure and difficult to copy by combining MICR technology with chip/circuit technology. Yet the backdoor is left wide open. :(

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
One more reason to go to your bank's ATMs, on top of saving fifty cents.

It's not so much a duh moment, of course stealing will always be possible, but that doesn't mean these people should be so lazy about security that they facilitate such theft.

Andriko_08

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Uhh, no, he meant make the atm WANT to download his program, cause an atm would never want it if it's being uploaded, it takes the program and downloads it by itself using some method I don't know of, basically, it tricks the atm into downloading the program, if you try to upload it it's like forcefeeding a toddler broccoli

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
[citation][nom]assmar[/nom]One more reason to go to your bank's ATMs, on top of saving fifty cents.It's not so much a duh moment, of course stealing will always be possible, but that doesn't mean these people should be so lazy about security that they facilitate such theft.[/citation]

I agree I only use my bank's ATMs as much as possible. But the article states:

It also wasn't limited to stand-alone convenience store machines as seen with his previous demonstration, opening the door to hacks against various ATMs used by mainstream banks.

So major Bank ATMs are also susceptible to this problem.

PostmanPat

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Its a combination of human imperfection, human nature and human ingenuity, there is no such thing as a perfectly secure system... if a human made it, at some point another human will break it, even if (like in this case) its just for the challenge of doing it.

G

[citation][nom]matt221177[/nom]Since when did Apple start making ATMs?[/citation]

I think an apple ATM would steal your card and spit out a piece of paper that said you were holding it wrong.

kooltime

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
ATM's have "standard USB slots" on them that are accessible to public?? Never seen an atm with visible USB slots poking around on em.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
[citation][nom]Strider-Hiryu_79[/nom]They make debit cards more secure and difficult to copy by combining MICR technology with chip/circuit technology. Yet the backdoor is left wide open.[/citation]

The difference is this method makes the machine pukes out money. Whereas in the old (more common) methods the crook steals from your account.

Banks should still tighten up security, but for the moment, we have more to worry about from phishing scams and stolen ATM cards.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]"there is no such thing as a safecracker-proof vault"? [/citation]

Nothing ever Proof. Even waterproof and fireproof item arn't proof. There just all highly resistant. :p If it's made by a human. Another human can figure out a way around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.