News Hackers are using one of Microsoft’s own tools to spread malware – what you need to know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2023
I believe this has just happened to me with MOSAID - some component within this tool, fiddler or something that it said didn't have a certificate so I said no don't install it, then I couldn't open any browser tabs without messages that they were no longer secure. the folder in which the .zip and app files was placed is now no longer visible so I can't even delete the contents of that (although of course, that doesn't necessarily address the problem). How can MS tech support direct customers to software that isn't confirmed clean? What do I do about it (as it's not detectable, how do I find it and remove it - safely - without ending up with another tool that has embedded malware in it?!)?

Fox Tread3

Great
Jun 19, 2023
I believe this has just happened to me with MOSAID - some component within this tool, fiddler or something that it said didn't have a certificate so I said no don't install it, then I couldn't open any browser tabs without messages that they were no longer secure. the folder in which the .zip and app files was placed is now no longer visible so I can't even delete the contents of that (although of course, that doesn't necessarily address the problem). How can MS tech support direct customers to software that isn't confirmed clean? What do I do about it (as it's not detectable, how do I find it and remove it - safely - without ending up with another tool that has embedded malware in it?!)?
Hi, sorry to hear about your problem. I think there are two possible solutions, though I don't claim to be an expert by any means. First, which is the easiest, and doesn't cost anything, is to do a clean reinstall of Windows. Hopefully you still have the media that you use to install Windows initially. If not, you may be able to to download your Windows version directly from Microsoft only, and provide your subscription code when it is requested. The other and obviously expensive option is to take your machine into a reputable computer repair shop. A number of things to take into consideration is that whatever Malware you have on your computer may be in the essential files and programs required to run Windows, like the kernel. If you are unfamiliar with what the Kernel is, I suggest you do a Google search for it. Lastly, I suggest your consider that if you have external hard drives, and/or SSDs connected to your computer, they may be infected also. Please be aware that Malware has gotten so sophisticated that it can be so well embedded that even well known anti-malware cleaners like Malwarebytes can't detect and remove them. I hope I have been of some help, and wish you the best of luck. 👍😊

Reactions: Flibbetygibbet

Fox Tread3

Great
Jun 19, 2023
Hi. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. I thought it would be nice if at least one person addressed your problem. I got a Trojan on my network, and because I had external drives with sensitive information on them. The hackers were able to do more damage, since they could see what I was doing on my computers. I got the Trojan while making a purchase from a website that had been compromised. Which is becoming more frequent since so many employees are working from home over unsecure networks. Fortunately, I was able to use a none infected computer to carry on, while my two full tower computers plus my six external drives went for a "cleaning" at to different repair shops to be on the safe side. I would recommend that until you get things sorted out. That you consider getting a cheap Chromebook for around USD $200.00. Some top brand models are on sale now. Chromebooks are very secure because nothing can be downloaded and kept on them without your knowledge. Great for banking etc. You do have to have a Google account or get one, which of course is free. However, out of the box you can use the Chromebook to get online using the "guest" mode. That may be a good option until you are sure that your computer is malware free. Best of luck.. and as we Trekees say.. "Live long and prosper!🖖"🤓😉

Status
Not open for further replies.