Hackers Loading Fake Facebook Apps in Chrome Web Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
It's no wonder the industry is trying to shift over to pure HTML5 -- it just doesn't seem safe to download and install anything anymore.
In reality, HTML5 would make it even easier to do all those things to a site like Facebook...

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
people are stupid, i wouldnt install an extension or even apps to my phone if it didnt at least have a couple of thousand comments i could read though to make sure it worked and just did as it was meant to

john15v16

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
It's no wonder the industry is trying to shift over to pure HTML5

Seriously, does the writer of this article have any grasp or understanding of HTML5 (or just plain web) technology?

As agnickolov said
In reality, HTML5 would make it even easier to do all those things to a site like Facebook...

Very true..

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I love Google's open store concept, but the problem this article speaks to is huge. There is a ton of crap in the Chrome Web Store. Just run a search for Angry Birds. Dozens of illegitimate extensions will show up right along with the one that is legitimate. Something should be done. I think Google should create some sort of verified status to highlight known safe and legitimate extensions and apps. I think that would help without breaking the open nature of the store.

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
If Firefox can do a virus scan on every downloaded file you would think Google marketplace/Play store, could do something similar with uploaded apps. Seems like they could throw out anything with a mild heuristics threat detection.

Status
Not open for further replies.