Hackers Prevail: PS3 Jailbreakable Once Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmmil978

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Remove linux support to stop hacking? LOL, yeah right. Hackers always find a way. All you do is create new challenges, making them BETTER hackers!

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Ya sense they removed linux I see a non stop attack on the PS3. Sony really gave a lot of people encouragement to try to exploit the console.

formin

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
they need to get a ps2 and ps1 emulator running on the new slims for hacked backwards compatibility. If sony is going to support it the hackers will.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
It's a losing battle for Sony. They'll upgrade their firmware and the hackers will upgrade theirs. Then again, Sony's always been stubborn about anti-piracy to the point of inconveniencing their users, so it won't be long until they remove USB support.

I wonder how long it will be before Sony removes support for PS3 discs on the PS3.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
All the more reason to bring back Linux support. Removing it did nothing, other then pissing off and making the hackers/homebrew community even more determined!

chaoski

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
How about not buying consoles to begin with. Every time ANYONE buys a console they basically support these companies and tell them to make MORE stuff that LIMITS the user and forces them to buy MORE of that companies products.

Xbo/MS, PS/Sony and Apple are all known for that. That's the reason I simply don't buy ANY of their products.

LACK OF FREEDOM

G

You know, I was really looking forward to some Famale Goods - I suspect it's for the ladies of the family?

On a lighter note, I believe that as long as you have a community of talented people focused on an objective, you will inevitably end up with an ongoing game of firmware upgrades by the company that has invested several hundreds of millions of dollars creating a proprietary games platform in order to ensure it is used in the way that they envisaged, and firmware hacks by said community of talented individuals. At long as there is a way in, it will eventually be discovered and exploited to undermine said companies vision. I suspect that the next major method of intrusion prevention will be a fully digital software distribution environment, zero non-proprietary peripheral support, and I suspect that it will still not be enough. I find it hard to begrudge a company for trying to protect something that represents a massive financial investment for them, but at the same time I must raise my hat to the community for simply being able to consistently outwit Sony at every turn. Long may it continue.

Anaxamenes

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Sony, why don't you help your game providers fix their bugs so I can play Fallout New Vegas without it freezing up all the time. You spend too much time trying to fight meaningless battles and not enough time trying to improve the customer experience. Why don't you spend the money to get hulu to play on my ps3 while your at it.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
not surprising. as long as consol manufactuers continue to focus on the bottom line, hackers will continue to mod out there products. every consol will be hacked and modded theres no stopping that. they should instead try to relese a consol thats build around modding, and fair play (i hate cheaters in MP).

If a Mod consol was built then sony can push to manufacture more addons faster, or have third parties just build the addons. eather way consols will be sold, games will be sold.

kithkarnon

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
It shows that whoever wrote this article does not really have a clue what is going on, they make it sound like they have cracked the current O/S. It is only a half win for the hackers. The current firmware is still secure as the dongle does not work with 3.42 and above. However they have found a way to downgrade the current O/S to a version that is 3.41 and lower. This does enable people who want to use the dongle to use the dongle, but they lose access to the PSN. The exact same situation that people who were/are using the dongle now have to accept. All this might force Sony to do is for new games to require 3.50. Will people be able to play games that don't require 3.50, yes, but not new games. This is no different than where M/S is at with their current dashboard. Any game using the AP2.5 does not work as a backup with the new dash. Expect Sony to do the same.

And I love how the company claims "this will allow homebrew for all", ya you are really doing this to allow people to enjoy homebrew, just call it what it is.

What I hate with all this and pirating in general is eventually companies will tire of it and goto the more extreme measures (as in no internet connection, no game) which have been tried and there has been backlash from players. But if every company, every game, every system does this are we really going to stop playing all games?

kithkarnon

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
It shows that whoever wrote this article does not really have a clue what is going on, they make it sound like they have cracked the current O/S. It is only a half win for the hackers. The current firmware is still secure as the dongle does not work with 3.42 and above. However they have found a way to downgrade the current O/S to a version that is 3.41 and lower. This does enable people who want to use the dongle to use the dongle, but they lose access to the PSN. The exact same situation that people who were/are using the dongle now have to accept. All this might force Sony to do is for new games to require 3.50. Will people be able to play games that don't require 3.50, yes, but not new games. This is no different than where M/S is at with their current dashboard. Any game using the AP2.5 does not work as a backup with the new dash. Expect Sony to do the same.

And I love how the company claims "this will allow homebrew for all", ya you are really doing this to allow people to enjoy homebrew, just call it what it is.

What I hate with all this and pirating in general is eventually companies will tire of it and goto the more extreme measures (as in no internet connection, no game) which have been tried and there has been backlash from players. But if every company, every game, every system does this are we really going to stop playing all games?

carlhenry

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]chaoski[/nom]How about not buying consoles to begin with. Every time ANYONE buys a console they basically support these companies and tell them to make MORE stuff that LIMITS the user and forces them to buy MORE of that companies products.Xbo/MS, PS/Sony and Apple are all known for that. That's the reason I simply don't buy ANY of their products.LACK OF FREEDOM[/citation]
[citation][nom]chaoski[/nom]How about not buying consoles to begin with. Every time ANYONE buys a console they basically support these companies and tell them to make MORE stuff that LIMITS the user and forces them to buy MORE of that companies products.Xbo/MS, PS/Sony and Apple are all known for that. That's the reason I simply don't buy ANY of their products.LACK OF FREEDOM[/citation]

just what exactly do you use then? consoles are made entirely for entertainment. i remember playing a famicom with my family when i was a kid, and i think those are priceless. people may blabber that consoles graphics suck, its expensive, worthless and all, but consoles are not as evil as these people think. and, if your talking about PC's "freedom" you're not talking about piracy do you?? i love both pc and console gaming (actually i don't own a console right now) but its getting pretty annoying when people always talk that consoles are worthless piece of crap just to look cool (or maybe they can't afford it?).

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I'm one of those that bought a ps3 to experiment with in linux. I don't support piracy, but embrace a way to revert the firmware back.I could care less about any firmware after 3.15 (no linux) I should have 8 of these in a cluster by now, but thanks to $ony removing linux I haven't been able to, until now? I haven't tried the jailbreak due to no linux, but if you can downgrade to 3.15 I need to find one of these! I'm sure the government could use a few for the airforce too :).

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]formin[/nom]they need to get a ps2 and ps1 emulator running on the new slims for hacked backwards compatibility. If sony is going to support it the hackers will.[/citation]
PS2 support would make me happy. I've been using PCSX2 (PS2 emulator) on my computer, and not too many games play flawlessly.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
kithkarnon said:
What I hate with all this and pirating in general is eventually companies will tire of it and goto the more extreme measures (as in no internet connection, no game)

It seemed like you got 'thumbed down' into oblivion there, but, Yes, this scares me. Playing all consoles game on a subscription, or even 'Cloud Consoling' is probably a pretty smart idea in regards to that. Oh dear, I hope it doesn't happen though. Please, no.

I've got nothing against consoles being hacked.. My wish is that people would support the game developers of the games they enjoy..

Status
Not open for further replies.