Hackers Released Norton AV Source Code, Says Symantec

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

If nothing else, these leaks at least confirm my suspicion that Norton does, in fact, protect their data with copies of their own software.

NatureTM

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I thought Anon considered themselves hacktivists. This helps the bad guys find holes in this AV software, making it easier for them to get control of more boxen. That doesn't seem very positive.
I'm also a bit skeptical of Norton's claim that the release doesn't impact the effectiveness of newer editions, unless the new ones are a complete rewrite. My guess is that some of the old code still exists in the recent releases.

rex86

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
"...As we have already stated publicly, this is old code, and Symantec and Norton customers will not be at an increased risk as a result of any further disclosure related to these 2006 products." I'm sure it doesn't. /irony

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
i had 2 friends ho owned Norton 2 ears ago and they had pc problems, installed avg and it found 5 viruses in Norton and around the pc fixed all the problems at no cost.

G

"The good news is that the leak doesn't pose as a threat to the millions of subscribers who have the software installed on their system."

So an antivirus that's utterly useless at detecting/stopping/removing viruses in the first place won't be any worse off with it's source code out in the wild? Makes sense.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]elcentral[/nom]i had 2 friends ho owned Norton 2 ears ago and they had pc problems, installed avg and it found 5 viruses in Norton and around the pc fixed all the problems at no cost.[/citation]

I've seen countless problems with Norton, McAfee, AVG, Kaspersky, Avira, ClamWin, BitDefender, TrendMicro... the list goes on. No AV on the planet finds everything out there. When we have an infected system, we generally do 8-10 different virus scans on it, nearly all of them finding stuff.

The worst problems a few years ago were from Norton. Today, it's Kaspersky and McAfee. Norton was re-written maybe 2 years ago and has shown positive improvements. Detection rates are always around 50% for these antivirus programs, so it comes down to how often it messes up windows that makes a particular AV a bad or good choice. I still see many systems with AVG problems today. Mostly it's "it wants to reboot my computer every single day".

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]I've seen countless problems with Norton, McAfee, AVG, Kaspersky, Avira, ClamWin, BitDefender, TrendMicro... the list goes on. No AV on the planet finds everything out there. When we have an infected system, we generally do 8-10 different virus scans on it, nearly all of them finding stuff.The worst problems a few years ago were from Norton. Today, it's Kaspersky and McAfee. Norton was re-written maybe 2 years ago and has shown positive improvements. Detection rates are always around 50% for these antivirus programs, so it comes down to how often it messes up windows that makes a particular AV a bad or good choice. I still see many systems with AVG problems today. Mostly it's "it wants to reboot my computer every single day".[/citation]

^^ This... If you really know your anti-virus stuff this is the exact statment you should make.. not the "I use this because it found that when another failed or this AV sucks, but this AV is awesome and perfect".

There is not "perfect" or fool-proof AV product and the "best one" changes year to year... and sometimes month to month.

I felt I had to comment on your post "beayn" because I rarely see this type of smart reply. Thank you.

carlhenry

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
bd and kaspersky are the most reliable. most free AV's have a bunch of FALSE positives which amuses my mom or dad and says that avg / avast were better.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I am still waiting them to release those games with always online DRM source code. ..

Games with DRM always online should be crack and modded heavily to send developer a deep lesson not to mess with gamers.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
MAybe some good can come out of the code dumps....

Like maybe someone can figure out how to make the software actually run at a decent speed...

>_>

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]Norton Antivirus 2006? Really? Lulz...[/citation]

There are people who hang onto old anti-virus programs, even if they're no longer supported. My dad refused to upgrade from McAfee OAS 2005 (or 2007), he thinks all antivirus programs are the same regardless of brand. I'm fairly sure McAfee already abandoned their OAS products since they announced they were phasing it out back in 2009.

G

What about Microsoft Security Essentials? Is it a good reliable anti-virus program?

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
norton in the mid to late 2000's sucked, it couldn't find a virus even if it replicated infront of it's nose. that's why everybody was recommending NOD when it came out.
norton has since scrapped it's code based in that era and had to rewrite everything just to get a respectable product back on the market that wasn't losing share by the 10,000's per day

Status
Not open for further replies.