Hands-on: Sennheiser Cans of the Dallas Mavs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albyint

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
When it comes to headphones I would have to hear them in person before I buy them. Even though you guys say they sound good, it boils down to personal taste. Higher the price tag, and I believe 499 counts as thus, does not always mean higher sound quality.

Example: Beats by Dr.Dre. They retail at my local best buy for 279.99, and they had a sample booth with them. I listened to them before I saw the price and was like "Holy cow these things sound like s****, why is it all bass with NO highs or mids? Couldnt be more then fifty bu-......." Needless to say I was flabberghasted at the price....

I dont think I would buy these cans if I had that kind of money, I would sooner buy one from their audiophile series or maybe Shures.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I am kind of bothered by the fact that these players are millionairs and were all probably given these $500 headphones just as a PR/Advertising stunt. Why do companies always give free stuff to the rich and famous, are there really that many sheep out there in our society? I think they would be best served to give them away to the average joe to creat good PR. Just my 2 cents.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Boy do I love my 80 dollar Grado SR-60's....

Yea they leak, yea they don't look "all that" but damn they sound good.

phamily

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
to thecheif73,
why should they give headphones to "more deserving" people? how will that benefit the company from a business stand point? they spend how ever much money giving the headphones to a nationally or perhaps internationally known sports entity and that will save them a lot of money on useless ads that no one will be persuaded by. why do you care so much how they carry out their marketing? because you don't get free stuff? lol

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
@Albyint

it largely comes down to what's 'popular and accepted' when in an area like that..

in this case.. excess, overemphasized bass is the norm. it doesnt have to sound 'good', it just has to be whats expected by many. and simply to see how much attention can be drawn in a populated place.

at any rate.. if it sells, thats all that matters to them.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Got a pair of HD650, best darn headphones there is at that price class,both amazing sound and great build quality. Sennheiser have earned my respect to say the least ofcorse they aren't the cheapest but the same goes for most quality products.

drsanches

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
i'm still waiting for the sequel to hd650... been a while since their new top of the line 800 came out, when will we see HD700 or 750? That's when i'll upgrade.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Am I the only one who dislikes the concept of a bluetooth wireless headset? After all, Bluetooth suffers from bandwith limitations, leading to compression being required, and the range isn't that great either.

RF headsets are typically superior and usually aren't any more expensive and often even cheaper than comparable bluetooth headphones.

Saitzev

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
I have to say I've been a fan of Sennheiser since 2004 when I bought my first pair of PX-100's.
I also own a pair of HD 595 and they are just as awesome.
I would say I would be very interested in these.

Marcus Yam

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]"Mavs won't increase your vertical (at least it did nothing for mine)"this begs an interesting question... what is your vertical marcus?[/citation]
Not high enough to even touch the rim. :( Geek men can't jump.

G

I have been using HD450 noise canceling for a year whenever I fly... believe me, 24 hours across the globe, you are fresher with this than without...

Plus, having your own airplane compatible earphones gives you that extra 30 mins of watching and hearing inflight movies...

However, the talkthrough is confusing to the stewardess... they think I can't hear them... all the time...

ALANMAN

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
For that price you can find a decent amp and pair it with a set of Sennheiser HD595. Sure, it's not as good as a set of HD600 or 650's but it'll sound a hell of a lot better than these.

Just my opinion, for the $$$ I'd rather have audio quality over convenience.

G

Seems they are primarily marketed as noise canceling headphones, where Bose QC15 is currently the king. I would like to see a comparison between the two (I myself love QC15's and have 2 pairs of them).

Marcus Yam

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]vas14[/nom]Seems they are primarily marketed as noise canceling headphones, where Bose QC15 is currently the king. I would like to see a comparison between the two (I myself love QC15's and have 2 pairs of them).[/citation]
I too have a pair of the QC15's. I think they're a bit overpriced, but I do really appreciate them when I fly. What I don't like is that you can't use them at all without the noise cancelling mode on though.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Sound quality ability perceive/hear by normal people is logarithmic.

Frankly at 100 bucks you get pretty good headphones at 150 you get good ones that maybe feels a bit sturdier and doesn't suffer from noise from the cords. At 200 you should get as much as you possibly need in terms of performance after that it's all just luxury sort of like a diamond studded phone. All the diamonds do is increase your ego.

Status
Not open for further replies.